1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network between Win98SE and WinXP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sharon13, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon13

Sharon13 Thread Starter

I just acquired a 2001 HP Laptop, and purchased a D-Link Wireless card along with the wireless hub to connect to the cable modem attached to my 1998 Gateway desktop (ancient, yes, but still alive).
    I've been trying ALL day to establish a connection between the laptop and the network via the wireless card. The laptop recognizes the wireless card, but doesn't seem to be accessing the internet. It also appears to be recognizing the desktop as another computer on the network (I did run the setup Wizard on both but my version of 98SE was a borrowed copy, and I don't have the original ICS files), but the desktop won't recognize the laptop.

ANY suggestions on where to start? Keep in mind I don't know all that much about the technical stuff, so some of this may not even make sense.

Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by buying a legal copy of W98 so you have the ICS files, since that's the first step.

3. Sharon13

Sharon13 Thread Starter

Yeah, but the computer I'd be purchasing it for is not even worth the price of a "legal" version. The one I used was "legal", it was an ex-boyfriend's, and I don't know anyone else who even still has 98.

Shouldn't the files not be necessary if I run the XP Wizard and then make a diskette to run it on the desktop anyhow? I've done this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice