Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless network confusion - HELP

842 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm having a bit of a problem deciding what to do re a wireless network for my house.

I have a desktop pc and a laptop. The desktop is situated in my converted loft on the top floor of the house. I would like to use the laptop throughout the rest of the house (mainly the lounge and dining room on the ground floor) to connect to the internet. However, I would like to do this without having to have the desktop on. On the flip side i don't want the broadband connection to the desktop to be slowed as it is my main pc (the laptop is more for the missus to connect to the net).

I am with pipex broadband. Currently I have the modem connected to the phone socket and straight into the desktop. I have a Belkin router (still in the box) and the theory is (if I understand correctly) is to have the phone line to the router, to the modem to the desktop. Then use a Belkin usb wireless connector (still in the box) in the laptop to connect to the broadband and share small files etc. However, if this is right (??) then I would have to have the desktop on and connected before I can use the internet on the laptop.

Is there any way that I could wire the broadband into the desktop (so it is wired), but have the broadband available wirelessly for the laptop?

Any suggestions would be graefully appreciated. I'd like to keep the Belkin equipment if I can and possible just buy extra to make it work.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a Belkin router (still in the box) and the theory is (if I understand correctly) is to have the phone line to the router, to the modem to the desktop.
NONONONONONO I think you may be confused. first off the main things to ensure is that your current modem is JUST a DSL modem and not a modem/router. You did not post makes and models so I can't tell you. Second is to ensure your Belkin is JUST a router and not a DSL modem/router with wireless. Again we need make/model to be able to confirm.

MOST wireless routers also have 4 hardwired ports to it so your hookup would be wall-phone line-DSL modem-Ethernet line to WAN port on wireless router-wireless router-Ethernet line from 1-4 port-PC with wired ethernet card. Then once the wired PC is working on this connection use the wired PC to setup wireless security on the wireless router and then add the wireless card to the laptop and use the same settings on it to ensure you have it all connected properly.

#4 ·
Thanks. it would appear that the modem is a d-link adsl modem as supplied by Pipex. This is also still in the box as I am urrently using my old alcatel frog (USB). The wireless router is a Belkin 2.4Ghz/ 802.11g/ 54mbps and is just a router (not modem). I am using windows xp.

#7 ·
The only way to use that Belkin router is with an Ethernet equipped modem. Another option would be to buy a ADSL modem/router. In any case, you'll need to replace at least the modem to use a router.

#8 ·
ok. Thanks for the advice. I have now got a Belkin modem/router (wireless g) and a belkin usb key for my laptop. So far I have both my desktop and the laptop connecting to the Internet. i have wall - phone socket - modem/router - desktop pc (wired). And the laptop connects via the usb wireless key/adapter to the modem/router.

2 questions:

1. how do I go about sharing files between the 2 pc's? thus far I haven't been able to actually successfully set up a network whereby I can share files between the 2 pc's.

2. security - what is the best way to secure the wireless network - WEP or WPA?

Much appreciated.

#9 ·
WPA has not been broken. WEP can be broken in 3 minutes with the right tools and knowledge.

Assuming at least one PC has Windows 2k Pro or XP, run the Network Setup wizard (lives in Control Panel). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.