1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Wireless Network Connection Broke

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sassyer, Feb 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

I have a problem since Monday with my wireless connectivity on my Acer E5-575 laptop. I need to figure out what the problem is and fix it ASAP. I am nearly deadline right. The laptop will only connect to the network and internet when it is hard wired with an Ethernet cable. I need to look for jobs and an Ethernet cable is not available when I network with people at coffee shops. I am not well versed in IT technology, so this is a challenge. I can't afford to pay someone to fix it. I am hoping this group can help.

I assuming everything relating to my network is working properly, because I can connect to the network and internet via wireless with my iPad and iPhone, I can only connect to the internet with my laptop if the Ethernet cable is used.

I have used the troubleshooter and it says I have a problem with my access point or router. It says to turn it off and back on again. I have done this many times and it does not fix the problem. I have also reinstalled Windows 10 with MediaCreationToool 1909.exe. Problem is still there with the same error message.

I have ran other tests and found my Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Network Adaptor does not have any drivers. I have downloaded from Acers website drivers for IO, LAN Wireless, and Chipset Intel. When I tried to install them from either the internet download or downloaded onto a USB drive, they are not recognized by the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Network Adapter. Is there a different way to install them?
    I have searched the internet for hours, even days, an nothing works. Ideas please.....TY!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your laptop is an Acer brand, it will have a SNID number and a serial number on it.
    Advise us what those exact numbers are so your laptop can be correctly identified and its support site can be located.

From what I can determine, your laptop appears to have a Qualcomm Atheros NFA435 model wireless device.

We have some good networking experts here, so be patient until one or more of them replies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Thank you!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the driver download is the correct one and is a self-extracting self-installing executable there is really nothing you could have done wrong with the attempted installation. Assume the adapter has died and get a USB wireless adapter.

If the driver download is the kind where you have to go into Device Manager and tell it to install a driver and give a link to the correct file it is possible to get confused. In this case tell us the exact steps you used and exact inputs you typed. And the exact error message.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Terry has replied to you, so you're in good hands.

You haven't provided the numbers that I requested so we can correctly identify your Acer laptop and its wireless device.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Thank you all for the help! It is pretty simple.
    1. Type in Device Manager in search window and the Device Manager Control comes up.
    2. Open it, and you will find in the list Qualicomm Atheros Wireless Network Adapter.
    3. Open it, open Update Driver. You can either elect to search the internet for the driver or select a file. I have tried both. The drivers are not found on the internet, and the ones I downloaded from the Acer website won't install.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  7. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

E5-575

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Exact error message?

Please show a screen shot of the File Explorer window showing the downloaded files. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    "E5-575" doesn't help me.
    I need the SNID number and serial number so your laptop's support site and driver downloads section can be accessed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Here is a picture

Attached Files:

11. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

More pictures

Attached Files:

12. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

One more that has a yellow exclamation point.

Attached Files:

13. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

This one goes with the last two photos. TY!

Attached Files:

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Those attachments show that the wireless adapter driver may be OK, and your problem is elsewhere. See your attachment to post # 12. This info may help you. Install the chipset drivers first.

15. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

OK. TY! Here is a picture of the ones I downloaded from Acer. Which one?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice