1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless network connection disappeared

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KRman, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KRman

KRman Thread Starter

Hello,
    i am in need of assistance. I have a dell computer running windows xp. Just recently i have been trying to bridge the local area connection and the wireless network connection. it seemed that i didnt have any connection in the network places file. I recently got back my local area conection by going to command propmt and typing some stuff in but i still cant find wireless network connection. It seems that it isnt there at all. Atleast the icon isnt. I have searched on the computer and have searched in the recycle bin and i could not find it.
    if anyone could tell me how to get the wireless network connection back that would be great. I have never gone to that file before so i dont no when it went away. i recently went on and none of the connections were there and then i got some back and i still dont have the wireless network connection.
    I am trying to bridge the wireless network connection and the local area conection to connect the ethernet cord to my playing device but the wireless network connection is not there.please someone if you could help me. I will be very thankful.

Thankyou,
    KRman

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    check device manager to make sure you are not missing the drivers or if it needs the drivers reinstalled.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Look at the desktop of the laptop and around the sides for a lit wireless icon and/or a switch or button that turns it on and off. The icon it self might be the push button but I would bet you accidentally turned it off.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are in Device Manager?

The Dell wireless switch is usually the Fn + F2 key combination. I think the Dell WLAN (if you are using this utility) can also toggle the wireless.

5. KRman

KRman Thread Starter

i cant go on device manager because it says mmc will not run a version of internet explorer earlier than internet explorer 5.5. I have internet explorer 7 though or it might be 8 im not sure its one of those two. Just to say i do not have a router or adapter at all just a dell computer and moniter. If anyone can tell me how to fix the internet explorer thing i would be very thankful towards you.
    Thankyou,
    KRman

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Lack of adapter would certainly explain not having wireless or ethernet connections. You have dial-up? Please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

7. KRman

KRman Thread Starter

Windows ip configuration
    *host name........ *: DHLPT461
    *primary dns suffix....... *:
    *node type ......... *: unknown*
    *ip routing enabled ....... *:yes
    *wins proxy enabled ....... *: yes

Ethernet adapter local area connection :
    ** * *Media state ........ *: media disconnected*
    ** * *Description .......... *: broadcam 440x *10/100 intergrated controller
    ** * *Physical address ........ *: 00-11-43-10-6B-9B

8. KRman

KRman Thread Starter

The stars are nothing

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you do not have the wireless connection listed there, then you have either a driver issue or the hardware is gone kaput.. and since you have this issue:

i cant go on device manager because it says mmc will not run a version of internet explorer earlier than internet explorer 5.5. I have internet explorer 7 though or it might be 8 im not sure its one of those two.

something tells me you have another underlying issue. You should be able to see at least device manager.

10. Virus-TM

Virus-TM

i got the same problem, strange and i don't know why.

11. KRman

KRman Thread Starter

please someone help me fix the mmc will not run internet explorer earlier than internet explorer 5.5. I have internet explorer 8. It isnt on right now i am using american online. i do not have a modem anymore. ive tried hooking it back up but the dsl light keeps blinking red. even when we had internet explorer it still said the mmc will not run an earlier version of internet explorer 5.5 i think

Please reply to help
    i will be very thankful
    thankyou,
    KRman

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    clearly there is something more serious going on if you cannot do Device Manager. I would recommend getting a local PC technician to look at your computer to find out why you are unable to use Device Manager and why your wireless connection is missing.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  14. KRman

KRman Thread Starter

do i do that in the command prompt and what will it do

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you read the part under "How to use Scannow sfc..." at that link?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice