1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network connection drops internet - goes local only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sboycan, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

I have a new HP desktop running Vista 64 bit. It has Atheros abgn dualband network module. It connects but will soon (seconds, minutes, hours variable) drop the internet connection and say access is "Local only." Signal strength is still reported as "High." It may or may not reconnect automatically. Disconnecting and reconnecting usually works but it will soon drop again. Upon re-connecting the number of networks presented varies from none to 10. I am pretty sure the 10 are always there but they are not being detected.

HP support had me ensure the card was in ,etc. and wanted me to restore pc to factory settings. As I have had 2 new from factory that start with this problem I am not so keen to do this. This is second machine to have this exact issue.On first machine I re-installed driver with no effect. They replaced it because I was having other strange issues within my return window.

The computer sits 12" from an HP laptop also with Vista 64 bit, same software and configs, with Broadcom abgdraft-n wifi adapter. The laptop never has lost a connection nor have other computers on the network.

My router is Linksys wrt310n with WPA security. It is 30 ft line of site to the computer in question. I have 3 other computers connected via wireless (g or n) with no issues. I have tried tweaking channels, etc. but to no effect.

Any help is appreciated.....

here is ipconfig

C:\Users\Steve>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Steve-HPDesk2
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : earthlink.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless
    Network Module
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-00-FC-5D-A3
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d855:cb24:158c:ea35%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:56:16 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 18, 2009 6:02:15 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557824
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-01-60-9A-00-26-18-7A-7F-58

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.185
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connect
    ion
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-18-7A-7F-58
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{6E77EA30-D182-48E0-A58E-E4FEFE2E9
    EC0}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

C:\Users\Steve>

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

I have the exact same problem, my Computer's and laptop's can't seem to share the Internet Connection so all but one get Local Only. I blame my router so I am getting a new one tomorrow.

3. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

since i see the computer detects a variable number of wireless networks in the area I am pretty sure it is the network adapter. unless there is a difference in draft n vs n standards.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from your PC manufacturer's web site.

5. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

First thing i did.... i also just updated the router firmware and still i just lost the connection...

6. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

when i reconnect and hover mouse over the network it says radio type: non-broadcast whereas my other computer says 802.11n. If I bring up properties for this connection I have an option on my other computer for WLAN configuration and a Configure button. Not on this computer. Is this a function of adapter driver or windows?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At first I discounted the possibility of wireless interference because the nearby PC has no wireless problems; but since it is a desktop there is a possibility that it is interfering with itself. Is the antenna secure, and is the path from router to antenna not obstructed by any part of the computer?

This is a PCI card, right? When "HP support had me ensure the card was in ,etc." did you remove the card and then reinsert it? Can you try it in another slot?

8. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

Well it was not so easy to fiddle with card. I am not sure what type of card it is and I could not remove and reseat - i could only ensure wires to antenna were secure.

I have considered interference but i have not had a lot of support in this thought. Directly under the original location on the floor was cables with most of my house's electrical wires. I moved the location. The wires are not right under but the main service entry is several feet below and the electrical boxes are not far either. Ever heard of any problems from this?

9. Padishar

Padishar

I have the same problem with a D-Link router. Repairing the connection only works for about a minute, and rebooting the router works for about 15 minutes. I'm editing from my PS3, which is sitting right on top of my desktop.

10. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

also a HP with Atheros adapter?

11. sboycan

sboycan Thread Starter

to be clear I cannot move the adapter.

12. Padishar

Padishar

No, my system was custom-built by my brother, but it's a D-Link DWA-552 adapter which is Atheros based.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/861705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice