1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Connection Drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by battisti, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. battisti

battisti Thread Starter

Hello all.

Yes, it's yet another "My Wireless Won't Work Right" thread! Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I recently moved to a new house, and set up one PC downstairs, with a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. PC#1 is hardwired to the router, no problems there. PC#2 (with a Linksys WMP54G card) is upstairs, one floor up and probably 20 feet over. Both PCs are above ground (nothing in the basement).

Initially, PC#2 was connecting pretty well. Generally I'd hit 54 Mbps and "very good" signal quality. But, it was spotty. While the connection wouldn't drop entirely, it would frequently drop enough to disrupt my FTPing of large files across the internet. I had my suspicions about the card, which had been jostled a lot and didn't seem to have a great connection between the antenna and card itself.

So, I replaced the whole setup with a brand-spanking new WRT54GS router and a WMP54GS card. Unfortunately, things have gone from bad to worse. It took me 3 hours on Support Chat with Linksys to even get any kind of a connection from PC#2, and now it just dies completely for huge chunks of time. I'll be online with a 54 Mbps connection, Very Good signal strength, then BOOM, couldn't find a network. Then 30 minutes later, it will miraculously find it again. It happens often enough that the PC is essentially useless for any work that requires an Internet connection. Note: Linksys' monitoring tool finds my network with a consistent signal strength of between 65% and 75%, it just can't connect to it. When I try to connect, it just says something like 'Could not associate with the access point.'

To make matters more confusing, I have a laptop as well. The laptop has a Motorola wireless card. I can sit the laptop exactly where PC#2 is, and I get a solid 54 Mbps connection with "Very Good" signal quality, the whole time through. Even when PC#2 drops offline, the laptop is still fine.

I've purchased a Linksys Range Expander (WRE54G), but after playing with it for a bit, abandoned it, because there were just too many variables. Trying that again is next on my list.

I haven't played at all with the actual position of the antennae on the router - I just don't know enough about wireless to know if that should have an impact.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I understood correctly, your laptop experience pretty much proves that you are getting a constant good strong signal to the location of the problem computer. If so, don't mess with router's antenna.

Go to the Linksys web site and make sure you have the latest driver and utility for the adaptor.

Move the computer around a little. Maybe the fan or power supply or something is in the direct path of the signal.

Are you managing the connection with the Linksys utility or with Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration? Try the other one.

Are you using encryption? If so, WEP or WPA?

3. battisti

battisti Thread Starter

Interestingly, I played with the antenna as you suggested, and it appears to have an impact. I had the antenna sticking straight up and down. When I turned it 90 degrees, the connection suddenly went live.

Of course, fat lot of help that does, since I'm trying to put the machine into one of those computer desk thingies. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/410737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice