1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network connection issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chapy08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chapy08

Chapy08 Thread Starter

Ok...here's the backstory...

I have comcast high speed internet, and about a year ago I got a netgear N150 wireless router from them when I got my new computer. Everything worked like a champ until New Years Eve, when suddenly the connection would keep dropping or not connect at all.

I went through all the usual steps of resetting the router and the modem, etc but that never helped. My internet connection works fine when I'm plugged in to the router with an ethernet cable, and when I'm plugged into the modem box itself.

I figured that possibly something in the router itself has gone bad so I ordered a new one from Comcast. Unfortunately, I am having the same issues with the new router. Computer, printer, ipod, etc all will not connect at all or it does then gets dropped.

Diagnostics from the computer say the wireless card is still working fine, and like I said, none of my devices will connect to it. I'm beginning to think it might be something with the modem box not allowing the connection to the router?!?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you are OK with ethernet wireless interference is a strong possibility. Any other 2.4 GHz devices, such as a cordless phone or baby monitor?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

3. Chapy08

Chapy08 Thread Starter

there is a cordless phone nearby that is connected thru the cable modem. Has been there for the last year too.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's 2.4 GHz it's a suspect. To test you can unplug the base station and remove the battery from the handset(s).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice