1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network connection problem - question + possible solution

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jetways, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetways

Jetways Thread Starter

First, the question: Is there a material problem with WEP encryption for a home wireless network?

Secondly, the story:

I had a laptop connected to a home wireless router network with WPA2 passkey encryption. I bought a new desktop with a wireless network card and tried to connect. The new machine would not connect to the network with the passkey (checked it was correct multiple times) and encryption type set to WPA2; would only connect using the connection button on the router, and then would usually drop after a few minutes. I would get the message "The security settings saved on this computer do not match the required settings by the network".

Having read around forums, I used a wired connection to log into the router directly. I turned off the encryption, and both machines were then able to connect, i.e. no problem with the network card in the desktop. Changed the encryption back to WPA2 with a new password; laptop can connect, desktop cannot.

Downloaded Xirrus Wi-Fi inspector (great-looking thing) on the desktop and it could easily see the wireless network, very strong connection. However I noticed that the security encryption still read 'WEP' and auth type 'Open', even though the router is still actually on WPA2 (someone might like to comment on how this could be).

Logged back into the router and changed the encryption to WEP, with a new passkey. Desktop and laptop now connect fine, happy enough. However see the first question, I'm not completely comfortable with just having WEP encryption, so still appreciate any feedback.

Tags for useful searches: Wireless network connection problem passkey WEP encryption

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your adapter is identifying a WPA(2) protected network as WEP protected probably it is a very old adapter incapable of supporting WPA or you have not updated to the latest driver (from the manufacturer's web site).

With an updated driver most wireless adapters will support WPA-PSK, so try that. In practice it is still as secure as WPA2.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice