1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Connection will NOT enable (Win 7)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TeamBalto, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TeamBalto

TeamBalto Thread Starter

I bought a NetGear N900 Wifi Dual Band USB Adapter in order for my desktop to connect to our router wirelessly. My desktop is a Win7 Home Premium.

My initial problem started when the adapter would not install correctly from the CD-ROM (I followed the instructions very carefully). I kept getting error messages that the adapter could not be found. However, I was able to pull the driver from the CD and was told it installed successfully.

Here's my main problem: Under Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings, the Wireless Network Connection remains Disabled (or greyed out). Anytime I try to enable it, Windows will saying "Enabling ... Enabled" but it STILL remains Disabled.

Does anyone have any recommendations on getting this fixed?

Here's what I've done below:
    -After the first unsuccessful install, I uninstalled NETGEAR and all its related pieces, uninstalled my antivirus (AVG), turned off Windows FW, rebooted, and attempted another clean NETGEAR installation. No success (and received the same console error message that the adapter could not be found).
    -I also uninstalled third-party programs and turned off unnecessary services in the background. Still no success.
    -Tried installing on different USB ports. Again, no success.
    -Even had a live chat session with NETGEAR support but ended up being told that they exhausted all their support measures and recommended I return the product and get a new one. But this is the third DIFFERENT adapter I've tried and all of them installed just fine on my laptop.

Also, here's some addt'l background info that may help diagnose this issue:
    -I have no other AV running in the background.
    -If I run the Windows Network Diagnostics tool, I receive this message: "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter."
    -However, under Device Manager, the adapter is displayed as working properly. When I try to disable/enable the adapter, the screen freezes and remains that way until I physically unplug the adapter from the USB port.
    -Under Computer Services, the WLAN AutoConfig is set to "Started." I have stopped and restarted this service.
    -Under Command Prompt and IPCONFIG /ALL, the wireless connection/adapter is not shown.

Can anyone help? I have tried all of the recommendations from Google (other than complete reinstallation of Windows 7), but the last few hours have always brought me back to square one.

Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Download and install the latest chipset drivers from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. Ditto for the ethernet adapter or controller if it is not included in the chipset.

Download the latest wireless driver from Netgear's site and try that one instead of the one on the CD.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. TeamBalto

TeamBalto Thread Starter

Hi Terry,

Motherboard
    I believe I found the latest chipset driver to my motherboard (which is an EVGA Intel P55 Micro). It is from Nov 2011 (see link): http://www.evga.com/support/downloa...accversion=9.3.0.1019&part_number=121-LF-E652

The problem is, it is an INF, which is unfortunately beyond my expertise on how to run/install. After downloading the driver file, I ran it like a normal setup program. After agreeing to the terms, it instantly said the software had been installed on my computer. There is an Intel log file generated on the C:\ drive, but this does not appear to be the INFs.

Any thoughts?

Ethernet
    I pulled the latest driver to the ethernet adapter on my system. From what I can tell, it installed successfully.

NetGear
    I downloaded the latest driver from NetGear's site relating to the N900 wireles adapter. I installed the driver and the message box indicated it had installed successfully. However, after a few minutes, Windows notification center will indicate that the device driver software was not installed successfully. The Wireless Network Connection still remains in "gray" (or in Disabled mode).

Command Prompts
    Command 1: Successful/reboot.
    Command 2: Successful/reboot.
    Command 3: Unsuccessful. I receive this message: "There's no user specified settings to be reset."

Any additional recommendations you have? Thank you!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think it means that the correct drivers are already installed and nothing more needs to be done.

Now that you have run the stack repairs you could try the install of the adapter one more time, but I have no other recommendations. The only thing stopping me from agreeing with the Netgear support person to "return the product and get a new one" is your next sentence: "But this is the third DIFFERENT adapter I've tried and all of them installed just fine on my laptop."

5. TeamBalto

TeamBalto Thread Starter

Terry,

Thanks for all the help. I gave up on the USB wireless adapter and returned it. Instead, I ended up buying/installing the hard wireless card into one of my available PCI slots and was then able to connect to the router.

Thanks again!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) I suppose that means that there is a problem with the USB or else that particular adapter just didn't want to play nice with the PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice