1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless network connection won't enable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by iamheddy, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamheddy

iamheddy Thread Starter

Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about computers, so please provide detailed advice if you choose to advise.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1405 running with Windows XP and a Linksys Wireless-G broadband wireless router WRT54G2.

The wireless was working fine yesterday. Tonight when I turned it on, I couldn't get an internet connection. The modem is ok because I have a connection with an ethernet wire.

When I go into the Network Connections window, I see that Wireless Network Connection is Disabled. Don't understand that. I didn't disable it.

I right click on it and press Enable, but all I get is a "Wireless Network Connection" window that says "Enabling..." and then "Connection Failed."

I ran the trouble shooter, but the suggestions either didn't apply (my hardware is ok with this machine because it has run on it before) or were so involved I was afraid to attempt them and cause a bigger problem. Disabling and changing settings makes me nervous.

Any ideas about what I can do to enable this wireless network connection?

I looked up some old posts on this and tried to follow them, but I didn't get the prompts mentioned under Wireless Network Connection Properties. For example, when I clicked

I don't understand why this has happened all of the sudden. Although I have Norton running and just ran a full scan, I suspect I have a virus because things have been sluggish the last couple of days and the sound started getting wonky.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

was this just to test, or do you always have an ethernet connection - if so please describe exactly how everything is connected

Dell Inspiron E1405 - have you turned OFF the wireless - there is often a physical switch or a combination of keys - like FN+F2 that switches the wireless on/off

would you post back the following
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left

hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back

the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open

the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to

suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button

to upload it here

{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program

across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Then run the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed

for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you

click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also

post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open

the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to

suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button

to upload it here.

{ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results

into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and

post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951772