1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless network connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tce, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tce

tce Thread Starter

hi,

my wireless network connection is always on and off. the speed is 11Mbps most of the time. The thing is when I am watching videos on youtube, cnn, etc., it's always disconnecting and then reconnecting itself. sometimes it doesn't and so I always have to manually repair the connection. what seems to be the problem? I noticed that it doesn't happen with the other laptops. So, it seems like it's just my laptop interfering with the connection. If you could tell me how to fix it, I'd appreciate it.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To begin with tell us your operating system, service pack level if appropriate, wireless adapter, what wireless utility you are using, and the brand and model of all network devices (modem, router, access point, etc.).

3. tek guy

tek guy

As Terry advised, give the model of the router and the wireless adapter because the standard of either your router or the wireless card is 802.11b? Can you tell if it's the first time that you encountered the problem and how the adapter and the router to each other?

4. tce

tce Thread Starter

here's the info:

windows xp
    I think it's either service pack 1 or 2
    intel(R)Pro/Wireless LAN2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter
    Verizon wireless
    Ad Hoc Settings: band 802.11b(2.4GHz)
    modem: Actiontec M1424WR

I am not familiar with these things. so, let me know if you need more info. i think i've had these problems for at least a year. thanks for helping me.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on 'My Computer' - Properties - on the General tab look for the Service Pack. If it is 1, it's a waste of time to trouble shoot wireless problems. Get at least up to SP2.

Why are you telling us "Ad Hoc Settings: ..."? You are connecting to a router, right? That's an infrastructure network. If you have any ad-hoc wireless networks defined (a profile) I suggest you delete them. Then search for your router's network and connect.

Are you using the Intel Proset wireless utility or XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) to manage the connection? Are you sure that the other one is not running?

6. tce

tce Thread Starter

it's service pack 2 and the adapter icon says Intel (R) Proset. how do I check whether the one is running or not?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're using Intel's utility: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - the Startup Type of Wireless Zero Configuration should be 'Disabled.'

8. tce

tce Thread Starter

I disabled it but I am still having the same problems.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest Intel wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site.

Also good to make sure you have the latest router firmware.

10. tce

tce Thread Starter

so I've made things worse. I downloaded the updated version of intel(r) proset from the website and set up the program. The updated version deleted all of my internet connection info. now, intel and wireless connection are not picking up the signal. what should i do now?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the wireless switched on?

Is the router's SSID broadcast enabled?

12. tce

tce Thread Starter

The wireless and the modem are switched on.

How can I check whether router's SSID broadcast is enabled or not?
    when i open intel(r) proset, it says hardware radio switch is on. Is that the same thing?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for confirming that the hardware radio switch is on.

Two ways to check that the router's SSID broadcast is enabled:

a. Login to the router and look (wireless section);
    b. Detect the network with your computer or another one. Note that connecting is not the same as detecting.

14. tce

tce Thread Starter

I got the internet back and now I am connected to the previous connection. But when I clicked 'view wireless network', there is nothing showing up. It just says "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service. For information about starting the WZC service, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on the microsoft.com Web site. "

15. tce

tce Thread Starter

ok, never mind. I just restarted my computer and now it's back to normal, thanks TerryNet. But I still need to test if my connection will be on and off.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice