1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rsgast, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsgast

rsgast Thread Starter

My sony vaio laptop connected to my wireless network fine for months. two days ago it suddenly stopped connecting. My network still shows up in available list and is at full strength. My wireless printer still connects to the network. Furthermore, my laptop connects to other networks, it just doesnt connect to mine anymore! I am completely computer illiterate so can someone please help me in laymans terms!?
    thanks

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Let's get some basics first.
    Any software/hardware changes in the last 2 days ?
    Any error msgs when trying to connect?
    There are a number of things we could suggest doing,but first:
    ,let's see this :
    From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. (For Vista/Win7, the IPv4 Address)

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Suggest you first try either

a. disable encryption on the router and try to connect; if successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. Or,

b. delete your wireless profiles; scan for your network and try to connect.

Then move on to pedroguy's post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice