1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Connectivity Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by penmark, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. penmark

penmark Thread Starter

I'm running a Linksys 802.11b wireless network. The router is wired to a desktop computer, which also has two printers attached to it. We have one other desktop on the network, which is attached to the network via a network adapter; a printer is wired to that computer; and we have two notebook computers - one via a wirless network card, and one has a built in 802.11g connection. Although I never have a problem getting the internet connection (cable modem attached to the router) on any of the networked computers, intermittently i'm unable to print to one of the printers (printer not found) and unable to open files on one of the networked computers. The network is secured. Sometimes a reboot handles the problem; sometimes not. All suggestions welcomed.

Mark

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What is the OS on each of the machines?

3. penmark

penmark Thread Starter

the desktop attached to the router has windows XP media center, the other desktop has XP home; the laptop with the 802.11g has XP home, and the other laptop has XP professional.

4. Sanguines

Sanguines

If you have service pack 2 installed, I would go to each computer and disable the Windows Firewall, as it often causes problems with network file/printer sharing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice