1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network constantly disconnects laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fordfan485, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fordfan485

fordfan485 Thread Starter

Ok I have a Dell Latitude D600 with a Intel Pro/wireless lan 2100 mini pci adapter internal on my computer. The router is a linksys wrt54gs v7 router. The laptop will constantly disconnect and reconnect from the router mostly when I am downloading something. Sometimes the network will lock up and disappear completely under View network connections. The problem only occurs at my GF/s apartment. And i know its not poor signal in the walls cause she just moved and have the same problems in the new place. I have the same make and model router at my place and have no problems. I also have no problems when I connect to the wireless network at my school. I also have no problems with the network using my girlfriends laptop . Also my ps3 has no problems connecting wireless to the router either, so i'm pretty sure the problem is not the router but is the laptop but why only having problems with this router is really puzzling me.

I'm at a loss of what to do , i updated the firmware on the router, updated the drivers on my laptop and still no solution. I also changed the router's channel to one that wasn't being used by any other networks in the area.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try connecting with a wired connection to see if this is just a wireless issue?

You need to move the router as far away from interfering channels as possible, ideally you want four unused channels between you and an active wireless network.

I'd turn off the local router, then use NetStumbler to search for all the other wireless networks to see what the environment is like.

4. fordfan485

I have already done that and it didn't solve the problem, using net stumbler was how I found a channel that wasn't being used.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you using WZC or a 3rd party wireless client to manage the connection? If you are using one, you need to disable any other wireless clients.

6. fordfan485

just using windows to manage it, I have the intel software disabled. It didnt drop connection quite as often when I used the intel software but I still had the problem of frequent drops. I'm also using WPA2 AES security . I had the same problems using WEP and WPA security so i'm pretty sure it isnt that.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest you use the Intel utility, especially since you report better results with it. If you do, make sure WZC is disabled.

The driver and Intel utility you have are the latest from Dell's web site, right?

8. badness

badness

My wife has a relatively new Dell laptop for work that does something similar. I use WPA 2 security. I have found that sometimes the Dell software assumes control of wireless connections. If I turn off Dell wireless client and let Microsoft network connections run the show, then there's no droppage. My wife wants to continually blame our home network but that is not the case (other computers, itouch connect just fine.)

badness

9. fordfan485

Well I tried connecting through the Intel Proset program that comes with the drivers and its somewhat better but I cant disable WCZ, if i do then the adapter completely disappears. I still have the intermittent problem of the adapter disappearing even when I have WCZ enabled. I'm using the newest drivers from Intel as they are a good 2 years newer than the ones dell provides. I had the same results from the dell drivers plus blue screens.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The adapter disappears from Device Manager? That sounds like the adapter is loose or is failing. WZC disabled certainly won't cause an adapter to disappear!

In my experience Dell is pretty good about wireless driver updates--often available just a few days after the Intel updates. Difficult to believe they are more than a week behind unless Intel's changes don't affect them.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice