1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by s4u, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s4u

s4u Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a wireless network set up in my home with 4 computers. I am constantly, yet randomly, losing my wireless connections. This has been happening for months and I have contacted dlink several times and followed all their suggestions - changing the channel, diabling, logging and wep and all this other useless information. They are now telling me that is is interference from a wireless phone that a neighbor must have. Which would be plausible to me if the hardwired system wasn't sometimes losing the connection as well.
    I will never buy a dlink product again. My question on the irql error was never even responded to - ended up finding a fix online and appears to be a common problem with these particular wirless cards and xp ( it works fine on the 98 machines)

Sorry if the rest is long winded, but wanted to include as much information as I could.

I have listed my set up below. I have done clean installs on some of the machines, the wired connection was switched between computers as well. I have moved the systems to be close to the router - didn't help. Was doing the same thing prior to sp2 being installed on the machines. I have tried connecting both with and with out the dlink software and still disconnects.
    When I get disconnected, no wireless networks show as being available and I cannot ping the router. I have tried rebooting the machines, repairing the connection, reinstalling the nics - nothing brings the connection back. The only way to get it up is to disconnect the power from the router and plug it back in - the connection comes back immediately. When one computer on the network goes - all computers go. This has never worked properly for me and I think its hardware but dlink doesn't seem to agree :(

One thing I have noticed, I ran across a few places online saying to check
    the Access point(infrastructure) networks only box - this has improved it in that, when only computer 2 is on the network it hasn't disconnected in 2 days(i usually disconnect multiple times every day). I thought the problem was solved, but then computer 3 was online tonight and 3 disconnects in 10 minutes when both systems were in use.

Something else to note - it is very rare for the network to go down when computer 2 is playing Warcraft - regardless of how many other systems are in use. Yet if you are checking mail, surfing, downloading a file you will get dumped.

Any suggesstions? Even if it's just to recommend other cards or routers LOL.

Thanks for any ideas :)

Kim

Router- D-Link DL- 514 Firmware version 1.03
    No 3rd party firewalls and XP firewall is disabled on all machines
    Surfboard Cable Modem

Computer 1
    Windows XP home SP2
    physically connected to router with Realtek Network Card

Computer 2
    Windows XP Home SP2
    Dlink Wireless Card DWL -510
    This computer was continuously getting IRQL_not_less_or_equal so is currently using a modified realtek driver - but was initially using the dlink driver and having the same problem
    Located about 15 ft away from router

Computer 3
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Dlink Wireless Card DWL -510 - using latest driver from dlink - 2.70.104
    Located on another floor

Computer 4
    Windows 98 SE
    Dlink Wireless Card DWL -510 - using latest driver from dlink - 2.70.104
    Using dlink software to connect
    Located on another floor directly above the router

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice