1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Beeeater, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

I have set up a small wireless network, with two notebooks using wireless dongles. It all works well, but even though I have set the notebooks to connect to the preferred network automatically, every time they restart I have to manually connect and type in the WEP key. This is a big hassle - Why won't they connect to the detected network?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using the adapter's utility or Windows XP's WZC?

What brand(s)?

Sure that you don't have both running and maybe conflicting with each other?

3. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Using Windows to configure the adapters. Should I use the adapters own utility?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Should I use the adapters own utility?"

That's up to you. Since WZC isn't doing the job for you, trying the adapter's utility seems like a reasonable thing to do.

In my limited experience I prefer the Intel and Netgear utilities, rate the DLink and WZC equally poor (but WZC is easier to understand and use), and haven't seen any others.

5. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, TerryNet - Sure enough, there was an Intel wireless utility in the startup section of msconfig - disabled it and all worked well.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad it's working now. For resolving problems usually two heads are better than one, but for wireless adapters two utilities are always worse than one! :)

7. Beeeater

Beeeater Thread Starter

The funny thing is that I couldn't get the wireless network to work using the built-in Intel wireless adapter (Dell notebook) - used a C-Net wireless dongle.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you're ready to try the integrated Intel adapter again:

make sure you have the latest driver and utility for it from the Dell web site,
    put WZC to sleep, and
    use the Intel utility.

Usually this will work far better, and be more convenient, than a USB adapter.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice