1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network goes missing after succesful connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shoemakerluis, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoemakerluis

shoemakerluis Thread Starter

ok here is the scenario I have:

we have a D-Link ADSL2+ modem (4 port switch) with a single desktop connected via cable, and a wireless network set up. the network is set to automatic channel scal, WPA secured, other settings are on automatic.

there are two laptops in our household, one is used regularly and the internet works fine for weeks without any issues. however, when I bring the second (my work) laptop home and connect it to the network, it works fine for 5 minutes or so, then the connection is lost. after this, the wireless network dissapears completely, none of the laptops are able to find it. this has happened 4 times now, every time in the same way.

I have checked the network with inSSIDer, and it appears to popup every now and then with a weak signal but then dissapears in seconds. rebooting the router/modem does not help, the only way I can get it to work is to reinstall the wireless network from scratch.

any ideas what could be causing this? it seems like only the other laptop triggers this, is this even possible or just really bizarre coincidence?

I have tried rebooting the modem every time, no help. I checked all settings, everything looks ok, diagnostic give nothing. all this time the desktop connected via cable works fine.

any ideas how to fix this? I have just replaced the model as the old one broke, so I'd hate to have to buy another one again...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/874156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice