1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Inside existing LAN?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by medic17506, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Brandon
    Heres the situation...

We have a DSL connection coming into the hub...have all the computers but one with network cables running to them...

We have a netgear wireless router...is it possible to hook this up into the hub to supply wireless connections into the existing LAN?

Planning on attempting this this evening...anyone have suggestions or hints, tips ect. I should be aware of. I am reasonably competent to attempt this...not a lot of experience with networking though.

Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    should be OK to do this.

this may be a useful tool for monitoring the wireless signal, strngth - channel etc
    Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

3. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Yes, just don't attempt to use the WAN port for any of the connections. Use only the LAN ports (assuming it has some) and you should be fine. Oh, you'll need a cross over cable to connect from the router to the hub.

Good Luck,

-Scott

4. bil4hire

bil4hire

How bout putting the wireless router first and plugging the hub into it? Would work if there is a hub built into the wireless router. Could be a problem if the hub is really a switch though.

5. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Yeah, actually that would be better. It would allow the router to hide all machines behind one IP address and do firewall stuff etc. So, you connect the firewall WAN port to the DSL box, then connect the hub on one of the LAN ports of the router.

Doing this may mean playing with the addressing currently used on your home network.

6. medic17506

First Name:
    Brandon
    Okay...here's what I've done...

Connected the wireless router to the dsl modem...I can gain access via wireless card on my laptop...and I can plug a computer from the wireless router to the computer and get online...I cannot log into the router for some odd reason...anyone?

Also I have plugged the Netgear 8 Port Dual Speed Hub Model # DS108 into the netgear wireless router....where I cannot log on from the computers that are plugged into it.

Where do I go from here? Help please!

7. medic17506

First Name:
    Brandon
    YEA! It's working! Here's how I did it...I think it's what y'all suggested???

Have the DSL Modem hooked into the Netgear Wireless Router...it works! Tried it with a Wireless PC Card on my Laptop.

From one of the ports on the back of the router I ran a Cat 5 cable from the router to the Netgear 8 Port hub. It works...I have tried 2 other computer that have connections through the hub.

8. medic17506

First Name:
    Brandon
    uh...I only thought everything was working...actually most everything is...execpt I can't send e-mail through Outlook now, is there a firewall or some setting I need to check...internet access as a whole work now though

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice