1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network no longer working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tanyamoniq, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tanyamoniq

tanyamoniq Thread Starter

I've searched through the forums but nothing seems to be quite the same as my problem. I've been using mostly a dial up connection (because I live in the sticks). But I occassionally bring my laptop to work to pilfer their high speed wireless connection if I have some particularly large files that I need to download. I've had no problems in doing so until today. Now my laptop cannot find the network and says that "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured." When I go to the device manager, I have two 6TO4 Adapters that are not working properly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. Please help!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

3. tanyamoniq

There are 3 that just say 6TO4 Adapter and one that says Microsoft 6to4 Adapter and they are all disabled at the moment. None have or have had a red X. Previously two of them had the yellow ! displayed. The last thing under Network Adapters is NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller which says it is working.

When I click "Show hidden devices" the following is listed under Network Adapters.
    (3) 6TO4 Adapters (Currently disabled)
    isatap.{bunch of numbers}
    Microsoft 6to4 Adapter (Currently disabled)
    NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (IPv6)
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    WAN Minipor (PPTP)

Nothing in that list has a red X or yellow ! or ?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That list shows no wireless hardware at all.

Either the wireless adapter is disabled in the BIOS, loose in it's socket, or dead.

5. tanyamoniq

How can I tell if it is disabled?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Go into the BIOS (Setup) and look around for the wireless adapter and see what it says about it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice