Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless network not secured.

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have finally bought a new laptop and am in the process of setting it up. I have two main questions that I need help with:

1 - I am connecting to the internet via my wireless network that is telling me it is unsecured. How do I secure it? Very worried about this.

2 - Can I put my new lap top on my same McAfee anti-virus account as my current one or do i have to buy it again.

3 - Is there a good way of moving my outlook express account info addresses etc.?

If anyone could tell me where I put my Office discs I would be most grateful. Last seen when we move house a year ago!

Any help welcome.

Cutie

#2 ·
You can enable WEP encryption on your router.. I am assuming you have a wireless router .. you can set encryption and passwords on the console and also configure your wireless adapter card with those parameters..

#3 ·
cutiecatuk said:
Hello,

I have finally bought a new laptop and am in the process of setting it up. I have two main questions that I need help with:

1 - I am connecting to the internet via my wireless network that is telling me it is unsecured. How do I secure it? Very worried about this.
I would enable WPA on your wireless device if all your wireless devices support it. Use a 20 character passphrase.

2 - Can I put my new lap top on my same McAfee anti-virus account as my current one or do i have to buy it again.
Why buy AntiVirus when there are plenty of excellent free choices. I use AVG some people use Avast.

3 - Is there a good way of moving my outlook express account info addresses etc.?
Google search for export outlook express or backup outlook express. You will find your answer.

If anyone could tell me where I put my Office discs I would be most grateful. Last seen when we move house a year ago!
As the saying goes....."If they were up your _ _ _ _ you would know where they are" LOL

#5 ·
Sorry it is a Belkin 54g. Is that right?

My new lap top is also not keeping an internet connection when my old one does. The new laptop (Compaq Presario V4000 with integral wireless) just keeps going off line but the old one with the card stuck in the side is on constantly.

Very confused.

Cutie.

#6 ·
Well, we need the specific model number of the router and the wireless adapters, since both ends have to be compatible for WPA or WPA2 to function.

#7 ·
Squashman said:
I would enable WPA on your wireless device if all your wireless devices support it. Use a 20 character passphrase.
Very true. WPA is very good encryption, but it still depends on a strong passphrase, because it is still vulnerable to brute force attacks.

#8 ·
with a 20 character password of random numbers and letters, WPA is quite secure, a brute force attack would take months and some luck with decent passwords.

#9 ·
John Will,

Ok the router is a Belkin FD7230-4 version 1010 and I am currently using my new laptop with intergal wireless. My laptop is a compaq V4000, I think this the information for wireless componant is PRO/Wireless 2200BG. Does that sound right.

Lost connection as I was typing this. Just don't understand why it looses the connection whe the old lap top sitting next to it works fine. Any ideas.

#15 ·
Squashman,

Thanks. I think I was looking at the wrong thing. I have got a window of about 45 mins to do this before my son wakes up. Your help is very gratefully received.

With respect to locking my wireless network, do I need to plug directly into the router as if so there is a problem that it is an ethernet router and i have no cables.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Cutie

#16 ·
You should ALWAYS have the ability to connect at least one machine to a router, since a wireless configuration issue can leave you out in the cold. I'd have a cable handy, they're really cheap...

#17 ·
John,

Right I have downloaded the intel driver and now have a great little icon in my task bar. This seems to be working great. Thank you so much for that. With regard to connecting to my router, I will get myself a spare cable. I don't want to come across as stupid but it will be an ethernet cable and will I be able to connect that to my laptop. it has a port with an icon which looks like monitors in a row or stations on a tube map. Is this an ethernet port?

Do I take it then that without this cable I cannot change the security setting on my router?

Your help is wonderful.

Cutie.

#18 ·
Yep, that's the Ethernet port. The issue with having no wired connection is whenever you make a change, say to the security key for the wireless, you are suddenly disconnected, and have no way of connecting again. :eek: ;) Also, if you want to do a firmware upgrade, you'll see that every manufacturer's site tells you NOT to do it over a wireless connection for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.