Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless network ping jumps

929 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  debunkcia 
#1 ·
I've had this problem since I started using my wireless network. I use a wap11 linksys wireless router and a wusb11 ver 2.6 adapter. The problem is that every min and a half my ping shoots up. The ping will be 3ms and then jump to 3000. This isn't a problem until i start playing online games and every min i have to deal with the game freezing. I've heard that a lot of wireless equipment is faulty because there are no standards so i'm not sure if this could be it.

I've put my adapter right next to the router and i still had teh problem with my ping so I know that it's not interference. The fact that it's so cyclic makes me think that the router or adapter is performing some operation that makes the ping jump. I have all the latest drivers and firmware and this problem hasn't gotten better as new drivers were installed so I'm pretty sure it can't be fixed by that. Do i just need a new adapter?

#2 ·
Most manufacturers recommend that you use the same brand of equipment at both ends...whether that is a marketing ploy or not...well some tests do bear this out.

Are you aware that when you PING you actually go out to your Server (ISP) and back for the measurement! So there ARE variables outside your control.

Have you tried checking the transfer speeds thru the various check sites available? Google "Speed Check" and you'll pull up a bunch.

This may give you a better viewpoint than a PING.

#4 ·
maybe you should try reviewing a hijack log or atleast google 'n' all your running processes to make sure you haven't got one of those zombie trojans that use you and thousands of others to send the ping of death. it's worth a shot.

#6 ·
i guess anything is possible. but i doubt it since when i used a different adapter i think the problem went away. and i've tried the adapter on two computers, so unless both are infected i doubt it's that. is there a quick way to check to see if i have a trojan without going through every single process that's running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.