1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network...plug and play doesn't work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by h8erman, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

Hi,

I have 2 computers, 1 wireless modem/router combo and a network that just won't connect. One computer is wired to the modem/router and the other is using a wireless adapter (d-link wua-1340). This computer can detect the wirless network and has been connected but whenever the pc is restarted it won't connect without trouble. I don't even know why it works when it does because i'm not doing anything differant. :S I could really use some help, I wanna play WoW :(

2. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

please....anybody.....i've been at this for about 5 hours....my day off has become quite frustrating

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have two computers, so I assume that means "One" and "the other." but then you mention "This" and "the pc." To start with, please rephrase your network/problem description sticking with just one name for each computer.

As I understand your situation, your modem/router will not connect to the internet, one of your computers will sometimes, but not always, connect to the router via wireless, and you haven't yet said whether the "One" computer successfully connects via ethernet to the router. Is this correct? And can you give more details?

4. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

oops, sorry for the confusion.....lets call the pc's pc1 and pc2. PC1 is wired directly to the modem/router combo with ethernet and has no connection issues whatsoever. PC2 is attempting to access the wireless network via a USB network adaptor (d-link wua-1340). PC2 is detecting the wireless connection but simply won't connect. It was connected for about a day but my pc had to be restarted for updates and I haven't been able to connect since.

Thanks Terry

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, I think I understand now. If you are using encryption, please disable it (just until we get the wireless working properly).

If you have a firewall (other than the Windows XP one) on PC2, please double check to make sure that it is still properly configured for your LAN, or else uninstall it temporarily.

Are you using Windows XP's WZC or the D-Link utility to manage the wireless connection, and are you sure the other one is not running? If the D-Link is running you should see its icon in the notification (tray) area. To check on WZC - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - look at Wireless Zero Configuration near the bottom. If you are using D-Link's utility the WZC service should be stopped and the Startup Type should be disabled. To use WZC it should be started and the Startup Type should be automatic.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've edited your thinly disguised profanity out of your subject. Please refer to the TSG Rules before your next post. Profanity is not required to express yourself, and it's not allowed here, either disguised or not.

7. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

hmmmm....i'm trying to access my router using the ip address but it won't access, it just googles it. ::confused: i need to access it to turn of the encryption. any ideas?

sorry about the "profanity"

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, John. I was turned off by the title but decided h8erman was probably more confused and frustrated than "nasty," so replied anyhow.

That's strange, h8erman, because you obviously accessed the router before to enable encryption. You're sure of the address? And you type, for example, 192.168.0.1 into the address bar? And when that doesn't work you try http://192.168.0.1? Have you tried pinging the router from the wired computer?

9. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

weird indeed.... i type 192.168.0.1 into the web browser and it automatically googles it.

this actually worked yesterday, but now it won't. this is why i don't like my g/f's computer. :p i'll keep trying i guess, hopefully i can get it figured out

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you sure, really really sure, that you are typing into the address bar? I just tried typing that address (which is NOT my router's address) into the address bar of my Netscape 8.1.2 browser and also tried it in IE7 and in both cases it just attempted access for a long time and failed. I realize I'm probably insulting you, but it sure sounds like you're typing that address into the search bar of whatever browser you're using.

11. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

I know it sounds like i'm doing something really dumb.....but i'm not. It's going into the address bar of IE7 and googling....in which case it googles %s and i get Mcdonald's as my first result. lol

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, but I'm lost!

Did you double check the address and try with the http:// prefix?

13. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

i did indeed.... i think it's due to a browser addon that automatically searches for items put in the browser that don't belong there.....i can't seem to turn it off though. :p

14. h8erman

h8erman Thread Starter

Ok......so the settings on my g/f's pc were a mess which is why i couldn't get the ip to work in the browser. all of that is fixed and I disabled the WEP. I am now connected on my PC so the issue is obviously with the WEP, how can i get this to work with WEP enabled? It's important because my GF will be working from home and we need to have a secure home network :p

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the router and adapter(s) support WPA (might need firmware or driver update) use that for better security and, IMO, easier use.

With WEP make sure you use Hex key(s); NOT a passcode that gets translated because there is no guarantee that any two devices will make the same translation.

Sometimes when using encryption the devices seem to get out of sync or something and the fix is to disable encryption, connect, enable encryption, connect again. I've experienced that problem and fix twice in just under two years.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice