1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by T9_312, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

I have a problem.

I currently use a WiFi Internet Company that hasn't been the best to me, poor customer service, poor everything. Finally fed up after years of it, I was presented with another option of internet access that finally was available to my area, by satellite.. Deciding to sign up for this internet access, it wasn't long before my new problems started.

Aside from the usual headache of having to convert over to satellite by buying additional software, for the time being I have had to use my WiFi provider until my other provider is done being set up, new phone, etc.

It was supposed to be a simple switch over, but one of my family members completely screwed things up trying to solve some issues themselves.. namely wires in wrong ports etc.. they tried to set up a new network.. now I am having a problem with all my networks being set up using a stupid password that even if successfully entered on another computer, mobile device, or gaming console, it denies me access.

Please refer to the following photographs below (links possibly if my Photobucket codes failed) and look at them for me to try and help me get my old connection back that did not have the password requirement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I am having some wonderful problems. So perhaps, if someone can help, that would be most appreciated.

Additional Note:> I am trying to use my old network settings that were working previously. But I trust that a new network has been configured so many times there is no hope of getting my original settings back. How would I attempt to gain those original settings back? Every new network I try to set up to fix the error only results in the above headache shown in the photos.

Suggestions?

2. pip22

pip22

Please do try to post on the correct forum.
    Some of our helping members spend most of their time on a specific forum they know most about, so it's in your own interests to post on the right one!

Networking problems belong here: http://forums.techguy.org/53-networking/

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    pip22,

When you see a thread that may be better suited to a different forum please advise them to Report and request the thread be moved. When you say "post on the correct forum" some OPs, especially new members, interpret that to start a duplicate thread.

T9_312,

Do you want to use the same router and LAN/WLAN as with the old ISP, or you want to use a new router and setup the LAN/WLAN to look like the previous one? Either way, you have to configure the router the way you want it. Personally I disable any "pin" or WPS stuff and just use "old fashioned" WPA(2)-PSK with a passphrase of my choosing.

4. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

"Do you want to use the same router and LAN/WLAN as with the old ISP?"

Yes please.

" Either way, you have to configure the router the way you want it."

I could do this with the router disk correct? I was thinking of reinstalling the router completely and setting it back up.

"Personally I disable any "pin" or WPS stuff and just use "old fashioned" WPA(2)-PSK with a passphrase of my choosing."

How would I go about doing that? It keeps putting one on for me as default, anytime I want to take it off, it's not possible it seems like, the option to do so is grey'd out which isn't allowing me to do anything. (I'll post a photograph later this evening.)

PS: (Sorry for the wrong forum business, I thought this was the right place since it was a networking problem.. not being able to network other systems due to passcode problems.)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To use the old router with the new ISP you should be able to just connect it, unless you also have to make changes to the WAN configuration. If the wizard or setup program on the router's CD works for you that would be fine. Or, just login and make whatever changes are needed manually.

The router user manual should say something about how to disable use of the pin (I don't know offhand; would have to consult the manual or the config pages).

6. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

To use the old router with the new ISP you should be able to just connect it,

Yea, tried just connecting it to the new ISP. But the new ISP didn't work, it was the same set up as the old ISP. No difference, just plug the new cord, shouldn't have been all that difficult. But for some odd reason, it wouldn't let me online when it's plugged into the router. When it's direct plugged into the computer it lets me online, but obviously that's not going to help me use the router to network my other systems. When I thought the router was bad, I unplugged the new ISP, plugged in the old ISP and whamo, internet on all computers.

unless you also have to make changes to the WAN configuration.

That's what I was thinking.. which of course I'm trying to do.

If the wizard or setup program on the router's CD works for you that would be fine. Or, just login and make whatever changes are needed manually.

Okay, if that works, then that's most likely what I'll have to do then, most likely my old ISP (since I haven't had to mess with this ISP in years) had settings just for it since it was WiFi. But since I have Satellite, the Satellite is a bit of a different set up.

WiFi consisted of Radio, Network Power Adapter for the Router. (Due to Landline Networking Cable that comes from the Radio) Optional Mini Modem for phone purposes only.. (Router sold separately.)

[​IMG]

Satellite consists of Dish "Radio", DSL Cables from the Dish to the Indoor Modem, The New Modem made for this Satellite has a built in power supply (making the Power Adapter for the Networking Cable no longer necessary).

The router user manual should say something about how to disable use of the pin (I don't know offhand; would have to consult the manual or the config pages).

I'll be sure to double check,..as soon as I can find that manual. I'm actually getting a new router, the best on the market to date, about 80.00 in change. Very powerful and highly recommended for the ISP I now have. I'm going to be patient, try that, follow through with the advice here, and since it's a new router, should give me a fresh start on this headache. (hopefully without the headache, just a fresh start.)

7. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

Okay, got the new router today. No avail. Installed it, and everything, still no internet. I even followed this advice here on another website:

(Quoted:)
    this is a common speedbump when using many routers with a hughesnet system. hughesnet's hn7000, hn9000, and dw series default to 192.168.0.1....same as where the router defaults, causing a ip conflict. this speedbump makes us installers a lot of money (and me posting a quick how-to is gonna **** a lot of installers off), so here goes:

flip your router over so you are looking at the back of it (where all the ports and antennae are).

see the port marked "internet"? pull the ethernet cable out of it.

see the 4 OTHER ports? plug your computer (via ethernet cable) into one of them. you could do this whole thing wirelessly, but i always recommend cabling to the router when configuring it....its just easier later.

open a browser (firefox, konquerer, internet exploder, safari, whatever's handy) and type in your router's ip address....in this case it's 192.168.0.1

you're gonna get a login screen...log in as admin. (btw the admin's password is blank by default....if you've already been in to set up a password for admin use the password you gave it. if you have forgotten the password, dispair not.... there is a little hole on the back of the router marked "reset" just large enough for a thumbtack or paperclip to fit into. unplug the router, hold down the button inside the "reset" hole for 10 seconds, plug the router back in and re-attempt the login process)

at the top there should be a tab marked "setup" click that tab.

look to the left... there's a column with buttons in it....click the one marked "network settings"

see where it says "router ip address"? give it an ip address OTHER THAN 192.168.0.1 (i like to use 192.168.1.1 on my installs. keeping everyone's router's ip addresses standard makes it easy to troubleshoot over the phone later if there is a problem)

click the "save settings" button near the top of the page.....its on a gray background with an orange "network settings" border around it.

while it's rebooting plug the ethernet cable you unplugged earlier back into the "internet" port on the back of the router. (btw... this should be the cable that connects the router to the hughes modem)

give it a minute or two to let the router and the modem get aquainted and everything should be peachy.

I have everything in the right ports, I have even followed through with advice here as well. I don't understand why on both routers I don't have internet with my new ISP!

My ISP is Hughes.
    My new Router is DLink.

My old Router was Linksys.
    My old ISP was 3wLogic.

I don't get it, but if I remove the ethernet cable out of my router and directly plug it into my computer, wala, I have internet.. but only for one computer.. I can't use my laptop, my Wii, or my Xbox because of the router.

8. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

Okay, I'm going to try this now: Found it on another part of this website.

pedroguy

Distinguished Member with 4,659 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
    28-Jan-2010, 03:53 PM #12
    Pick a modem.Motorola or rogers. And.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    Connections:
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.
    This is from the dlink site :
    http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=428

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the brand and model of your modem? What is the brand and model of the new router?

For a connection to the modem please show

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

10. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

There's the information you need in the image below. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That indicates that your "modem" is a modem/router combo. If the router is using the same IP address range (e.g., D-Link's default) you need to change the LAN addresses for one of them, bridge the modem/router (to make it work as a modem only) or use the 2nd router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point (not as a router).

12. T9_312

T9_312 Thread Starter

Well that would explain it.
    How would I go about changing the LAN address, just a general idea if you're able, and make my modem (which I had no idea was also a router, makes sense now..) only be a modem not both? That makes sense because they are conflicting for dominance and of course the combo is going to prove to be dominate over my Dlink. So how would I try to make the modem stop trying to do both jobs and only be a modem? I'm pretty smart, but even that's digging a little deeper then I usually go, but if you're willing to help, I'm willing to give it a shot... just need a bone to work with.

Thanks though! At least this is going a step in the right direction.

[First Edit] PS: While I wait for your reply, I'm going to do some research on what you suggested to see if I can get a jump on this.
    [Second Edit] PSS: Here's what I found, I'm seeing if this works, I'll keep you informed if it does.

Connect your computer to router using an Ethernet cable. The cable should be plugged into one of the LAN ports, not the port labeled "WAN" or "Internet."
    Follow the instructions in the router's manual to log into the router's configuration application. This is done by entering the IP address of the router into the address bar of a web browser, following the "http://." The IP address of the router will be something like 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1. Next, enter the password and user name for the router. If successful, the main configuration page for the router will open in the window of the browser. There will be an assortment of links on this page that will allow you to customize how the router operates.
    Locate the page that allows you to set the IP address of the router. This should be set to something other than the default address, and it must not be the same as any other device on the network.
    Find the settings for the DHCP and DNS servers that are built into the router. Both severs will need to be disabled because the main router on the network will now be in charge of assigning IP addresses and translating network addresses.
    Disable all of the access controls and the firewall of the router to be used as a bridge. The main router will also perform these tasks.
    Remove all of the entries in the "Port forwarding" section of the router. These settings are designed to allow certain applications easier access to the internet on specific ports and are no longer necessary.
    Save all of the settings you have changed and reboot the router for the changes to take effect. With all of the routing features of the unit disabled, the router can now act as a bridge on your network.

Read more: How to Use a Router as a Bridge | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2308667_use-router-as-bridge.html#ixzz1CTDSBFeR

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To merely change the LAN address of either router just login to it, navigate to the LAN section and and change the address. Then check the Dhcp server's address range; on some routers those addresses change automatically when you change the router's address and on other routers you have to make the corresponding change yourself.

To "bridge" a modem/router you login to it and set it to "bridge" mode. The exact term for this and the exact procedure varies widely. Best to consult the user manual. Note that for most or all of these the only way to make further changes after bridging is to reset to factory default settings are start over.

If you want to leave the mdem/router as is I can post the procedure to use the 2nd router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point if you decide to go that way.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice