1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless network quit can't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lexmarks567, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lexmarks567

lexmarks567 Thread Starter

my wireless internet went down and I can't get back on. have rebooted twice unplugged the router still nothing. at first my computer could not find it just 2 un-secure networks that are not mine. Now I found mine entered the key but is says aquring network address. but after a while it says automatic but im still not connected. what do I do I give up.Im on my backup computer right now.please help its annoying:(

2. lexmarks567

ok it says im connected but its not sercured is this safe how do I make it sercure another problem. When I turn my computer on it does not imeditly connect to the wireless network.Instead it gives me a list of networks within range of my computer.and not one is sercure.What do I do. Im on a linksys network but not mine. My computer can't find mine so the one im on is not sercure which means any information I send could be viewed by others.What is going on please help Im tempted to reformat my hardrive with my recovery disks that I made and reinstall everything.the disks would reboot the computer back to the way it was when I got it brand new.windows would still be installed

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi lexmarks567, Reports are not working properly at this moment. What was the reason for your report?

4. lexmarks567

I requested this thread moved to the networking as thats were I felt it belonged. My thread in suggestions is about the problem with the report post lagging

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your router's wireless signal enabled? SSID broadcast enabled? WLAN LED on and steady?

The neighborly thing to do about those unsecured networks is to track down the owners and advise them to secure them. After you get your own working, of course. :)

6. lexmarks567

my sercure one its not in the list of ones within range of the computer.I knows its enabled cause if its unpluged I have no access to the internet at all. My other computer is running sercured but not this one. Somethings strange and Im confused.

I have no idea what that is. All I know is when I got my computer I installed the antenna card and it found the router everything worked untill now when it went down permonitly and would not come back up. SO Im on a linksyes unsercurd network.my network is linksyes but this linkeys is not.I know its confusesing.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have one computer accessing the internet through your router's wireless network? And a second computer which detects some wireless networks but not yours? If yes to both it certainly sounds like you disabled your SSID broadcast. Some people think doing so is a security measure but it really is just something to make your network harder to use.

8. lexmarks567

well If I disable it I don't know how and I got it back on to my sercured one by reinstalling the card but it still goes down and I have to something that invoves pressing a button on the front of the router then click next and it detects the network and I click connect and after a minute its back working on a secured network and yes when ones down the other still works

9. lexmarks567

Ok please help it went down again. I had to press a button on the router to get it back so the system could find it. If the ssid is disabled how do I get it back online heres some screen shots of the errors please help its annoying

Attached Files:

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What operating system is the computer running?

11. lexmarks567

windows xp home 2002 sorry for the long delay my network quit again and had to reinstall the network card

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The second thumbnail is simply confirming that Windows XP's wireless utility WZC is disabled because you are using the Linksys one. That is not an error; that is good.

What does the Site Survey of the Linksys utility show? In particular, does it show your network? Do you get that error you showed after trying to connect to your network?

13. lexmarks567

it shows my network after awhile and I do get that error after trying to connect then it connects to the access point the internet but it does not last. A few minutes later it crashs again and I do it all over again.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you checked the Linksys site to make sure you have the latest driver/utility?

I am not familiar with the Linksys utility nor with that particular error message. But think that wireless interference is one possible problem. Are any of those other detected networks on your same or close channel and have a fairly strong signal? If so, try changing the channel on the router; the non-interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11.

Another common source of wireless interference is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone.

Another possible problem is that the wireless adapter is bad.

15. lexmarks567

thats the only network that comes up.the others before were open networks so others could see what i was doing. i'll go the website and see whats there

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice