1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network signal problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by maracles, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hi

I have wireless set up in my house. The routeris in a room upstairs (Thompson Speedtouch 580), my computer is downstairs fitted with a belkin 54 b/g pci card, there are also 4 other computers conneected

My problem is that the speed has massive variations, sometimes breaking requiring me to reset the router. I tried checking the speed with a online speed test several times, my results vary from d/l speed of 3210 to 950. Also the bubble that appears when you hover the mouse over the wireless connection in system tray always shows excellent or very good signal, however constantly changes (and I mean every 5 sec) between speeds of 1.0mps and 54.0 mps.

Can someone help me make this connection more stable, or improve speed/signal?

Thankyou for anyhelp.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd be looking for sources of wireless interference. 2.4ghz wireless phones are the most common, as well as other wireless networks close by.

Have you tried changing the channel in the router? I like channel 1, 6, and 11 to start, they're the non-interfering channels for the US.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

3. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

I have changed the channel but has seemingly made no change. Does anyone else have any other suggestion before I go out and buy extra hardware? Thanks for the help so far though

4. JohnWill

Did you check if there are any wireless phones in the mix? To see if they're a problem, you need to unplug the base station AND the battery from the wireless handset.

5. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

I do not have a wireless phone so can't be that. I would understand if it was that I was too far fro the router however sometimes I do get the best signal so it doesn't make sense to be that. Could it be that the router is faulty and sending out interrupted signals?

6. JohnWill

Any thing's possible. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice