1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network Signal Suddenly Weak

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rickfisher, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickfisher

rickfisher Thread Starter

I had an XP machine using a wired connection with a Linksys WRT54GS 2.4GHz router. The only things connecting to it wireless were my wii and my PS3 which were in the next room, less than 15feet away. I purchased a Windows 7 machine for my wife for Christmas, and gave the XP machine to my kids. I moved the modem and router into the kids playroom, and set the Windows 7 machine up for wireless. Now the router is at one end of the house, and the 7 machine is about 45 feet away. The signal strength was never an issue until last week, and now the PS3 and the Win7 machine constantly have weak signal or no signal. I don't know a whole lot about networking, so please be gentle. I am willing to move the router and modem to a central location as a last resort, but would like to keep them with the XP machine for our kids to use. I am not going to spend money on a wireless card for it. Thanks in advance!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets see an xirrus screen shot

Anything changed in the house - has the router been moved slightly at all - even just the aerial?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

4. rickfisher

sorry for taking so long to write back. Just want to let you know it will probably be a week or so until I can do the requested actions (because of my current work schedule). Sorry for taking so long...

5. xXPing_PongXx

xXPing_PongXx

It's ok, take your time. Just let us know when you've tried it, =]

6. rickfisher

Well I figured it all out. I found out that my neighbor was gaining access to our wireless signal. I entered the MAC addresses for each device in our house into the router (this prevents others from using your wireless signal) and BAM now we are back in business. Thanks for the help anyway! Have a great day!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's pretty easy for someone to learn what MAC addresses you are using and to spoof one of them. The only real wireless security against somebody with knowledge is WPA(2) encryption with a strong passphrase (not dictionary words).

The ABCs of securing your wireless network is interesting reading.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice