1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network strange problem !?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tiago, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tiago

Tiago Thread Starter

Hi ppl!
    I have a home wireless network 802.11g and i have a small problem...
    The network works fine while navegating throught the WWW or staying for days connected to mIRC or Messenger or even browsing the files in the other computers connected to my home LAN. The problem comes when i try to transfer files bigger than 50/60Mb (+/-) between two computers connected to my home LAN. The transfers stats well but after 2/3 minutes the transfer time comes up to 250 minutes (lol) and then the following message shows up: "The computer is no longer available - you may not have permission to browse that computer!" :confused: ...After this the network goes down and i need to reboot the router so that i can have network again. It seems to be very strange to me cause i can transfer 2 or 3 mp3's and i can't transfer a DivX for example... :(

Hardware specs on my home LAN:
    - Computer - HP Pavilion zt3340, Factory wireless card 802.11g, WinXP Home
    - Computer - AMD Thunderbird, PCI wireless CNet CWP-854 802.11g, WinXP Pro
    - Wireless Router - CNet CWR-854 802.11g

Thank you very much for your attention while reading the post! :)

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, I can't say this is your problem for sure, but when we set out to test and roll out a wireless network here at work, we ran into one wireless access point that reset itself when a client attempted to FTP large files.

<original message> Have you tried waiting a bit before resetting the machines to see if the network reappears after a few minutes (less than 10, hopefully less than 5)? </original message>

I miss read originally, I thought you reset the machine, not the router. I'd return the router and buy a different brand. Or see if they have a software upgrade for the box, that might fix it too.

-Scott

3. Tiago

Tiago Thread Starter

Hi!
    I guess thats not an option ... i can't return the router.
    I installed the latest firmware but the problem remains... :(

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

It definitely sounds like the same type of problem we ran into. I don't remember the brand anymore, but we let them send us 3 different replacements before we gave up and crossed them off our list. Ebay the thing buy a different brand is all I can offer.

5. Tiago

Tiago Thread Starter

I understand your point...
    I will talk to the guy at the store so if anything could be made...
    Thanks a lot for your help :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice