1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network to the world, but not the office

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cadi957, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cadi957

cadi957 Thread Starter

:confused: Have a networking issue. I have a wireless router (D-Link DIR-625) connected to the modem for our high speed DSL. I have two Brother MFC printers, one is a laser (MFC-9420CN) connected w/ a Cat-5 directly to the router, the other is an ink-jet MFC-6490CN and I would like to use it wireless....but I could connect it to the router if I need to.

I have wireless connection to the internet, from my HP 32-bit PC (running Vista-Ultimate), but can not see either of the printers on the network, and cannot print to either. I manually configured both to have an IP within the range of my network, but they still do not work.

The problem (I think) could be with the IPCONFIG. (I had no problem last year, but we recently had a few power outages, and now the PC doesn't seem to 'see' any of the printers.) I checked the IPCONFIG. it states 'media disconnected', but I can ping the one wireless printer??? I can not ping the laptop on the network or the laser printer (I confirmed it's ipconfig before pinging).

I know the network card can't be bad, or I couldn't get to the router to access the internet. I also went into the cmd prompt as the administrator and did the /release/renew/all but that didn't work either.

In order to print anything I have to email it to another account and print it from the laptop!!!:eek:

Please help me.

sarge

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    can you ping the printer's ip addresses?

3. cadi957

cadi957 Thread Starter

Yes, that is what is weird.

4. genshi800

genshi800

The router is most likely running DHCP.

Set all devices back to obtain ip automatically (dhcp). Let the router assign ip's and dns as it see's fit.
    On your desktop, use ipconfig /all
    Find the adapter that connects to the router, note the IP address

Go grab angry IP Scanner from google. Have it scan the sub you are on.
    For example. Your desktop says its obtained IP 192.168.1.3 from the router.
    Scan ip range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254

See if your printers show up.

Do add new printer wizard and connect via ip
    If this works, see if they have a web interface (connect to them with internet explorer/firefox) at
    that same ip.. Set their Ip's back to static, at that same IP.. Write these ip's down.
    From now on, whenever you have a machine that needs to connect to this printer, it will at
    that IP.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Honestly I would set the printers with a manual IP address, that way it will prevent them getting a different IP address and mess everything up.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice