1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network tough situation!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ~DC:UK~, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ~DC:UK~

~DC:UK~ Thread Starter

Ok, I have been having this really strange network problem and it has finally come down to this.

In work we have been issuing all our salesmen with notebooks and wireless network gear for use in their homes. This is how we have set them up:

They have ADSL so we have provided them with a D-Link ADSL modem which plugs into their BT micro filter. We then plug the modem into a wireless Linksys 802.11b 4 port Ethernet router. The modem is connected into one of the 4 Ethernet ports (not the separate internet port) and the modem is set up as the DHCP server.

Doing it this way means that the internet access to the laptop works fine, but the router is invisible to the network then as it is just passing the connection straight through. Trouble is we need the router to be available as we need to link a HP LaserJet 3015 printer to the router (using a USB HP175x print server) so they can print wirelessly, but the router is invisible to the network thus making the printer unavailable.

If we do it the other way and connect the ADSL modem into the internet port of the router then the router becomes the DHCP server and the printer can be found but the internet connection is lost, it just doesnÂ’t route the internet traffic to the laptop, defeating the object of the wireless network.

I cannot figure out how to make it so that the internet connection is available and the printer can be found on the network. Any help on this one will be much appreciated.

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

What? No,no,no. The WAN link on the linksys router is what is SUPPOSED to be pluged into the broadband modem. The router then is supposed setup DHCP for the home network, and NAT private addresses (usually 192.168.x.y) into real addresses (nearly every other IP address possiblity). The PC's and the laser printer that share the same LAN network (behind the same router) should be able to talk happily.

If you can't get the PC's to access the internet, with the WAN port connected to the modem, you've done something very basic incorrectly. My guess is you need a cross over cable between them, but you've used a straight through cable instead.

Getting to that printer from other sites is probably not going to work until you assign a static public address to a static NAT address that points to the printer. Ask your ISP if you can get an address for this purpose.

-Scott

3. ~DC:UK~

~DC:UK~ Thread Starter

I have set it up so that the D-Link ADSL modem is plugged in to the Linksys's WAN port and plugged the printer into port 1 of the ethernet ports. I can see the printer this way but for some reason the internet connection is non existant even though I can see the IP address it has got from the ISP.

I can goto my 192.168.1.1 to access the router doing it the above way, and using 192.168.1.2 to access the modem.

Only by putting the modem into the normal ports and enabling DHCP on the modem does the internet connection work, but I lose the printer and cannot access the router status page or any device attached to the router but the wireless fuction still works for internet usage.

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Oh, the modem is attempting to do DHCP and NAT as well? Is the modem able to give out more than one DHCP address? If so, and if the modem is doing all this for you, then you don't need to use the router port as I'd originally assumed.

Now, you need to turn off DHCP on the router (you don't want both of them to attempt to hand out addresses). Plug the modem back into one of the LAN ports, and the printer into one of the LAN ports and the PC into one of the LAN ports. The PC should see the printer and be able to connect to the internet. Also the modem is your default gateway, not the router.

Then, to be able to get to the printer remotely, you'll need to give a static public address to it, and have static NAT turned on on the modem pointing that public address to the private address the printer has. You might want to assign a specific address to the printer if the modem DHCP function allows that.

An alternative to all this, is to allow the router to do NAT and the modem to do NAT, but then one of them is going to have to change which private addressing range it is handing out, and you'll have to map the printer's public address twice to be able to access it remotely. It's more complicated this way and somethings may break when trying this, so I don't highly recommend it, but it is possible. But, again, in order for this to work, either the modem or the router MUST hand out different address ranges. It doesn't work to NAT to and from the same range.

And sorry for the "no,no,no" comment, I was assuming the modem was a simple modem that passed the ISP assigned address straight through to the router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice