1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless network unavailable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mad-martin, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mad-martin

mad-martin Thread Starter

Hi all,

we have recently bought a 'mentor adsl router' works just fine for us (my partner and me) however we are wired to the router and all is fine...
    Our problem started when i build a pc for our little girl, and cause we dont want wires through the house we got a usb dongle (that was the whole idea when we bough the router).
    Whatever we tried it wouldnt find the network, so we got another wireless network card and the same thing happened... nothing (no network available)

I went back to the chap we bought the router from and he says (and it sound logical) you need to tell the router to scan for available devices, but whatever we do we cant find such an option.
    If i connect to the router using a browser i dont even have any wireless network options/settings, if i telnet to the router i can set some wireless options.

any advice will be appreciated

maddie

2. coulterp

coulterp

What model adsl router? (Couldn't find a manual.)
    You have wireless access point enabled in the router?
    What wireless options did you set in the router? SSID? Are you broadcating SSID? channel? protocol (b or g)? WEP?
    What make/model usb adaptor?
    In short more info would help trouble-shoot.

3. mad-martin

cheers for the quick reply!

the brand is mentor couldnt find them on the web, however it uses conexant hasbani firmware.
    I did set ssid name and channel, not the protocol and assume it is not broadcasting, since there are no options to set these settings
    atm a belkin 802.11 g wireless network card is installed in the pc that we can add to the network

again cheers for any advice

4. coulterp

coulterp

5. mad-martin

bingo! thats the one!

Yes belkin does scan for networks, but nothing shows as available, basically the same result we got with the dongle that why we replaced it thinking it wasnt working right.

cause it still wont find a network i think its not broadcasting, and have no clue how to start it, again any help appreciated :)

6. coulterp

coulterp

Without the manual it's a bit hard to say exactly where in the GUI to go to.
    But you would need to be looking for an option to enable/disable Wireless Access Point (and obviously enable it). To be honest I would expect "enable" to be the factory default).

If the router is not broadcasting then you need to specifically inform the adaptor of the SSID (otherwise it won't find the non-broadcasting SSID!). There should be a facility in the adaptor to tell it to latch unto a specific SSID. Have you done that? If you have (and you are still not connecting) is there any chance you have a mis-match between the SSID you've entered in the adaptor and the SSID of the router? (did you change the router's SSID from the factory default?)

7. mad-martin

i have the manual, and where it shows the part of the wireless settings its just not there. :(
    when i telnet to the router however i can do some minimal settings, unfortunately enabling the WAP isnt one of them

i dont think it will be a mis-match in network, since occaisionally i do see a neighbours network apprear

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is this a wireless router? Does it have an antenna?

9. coulterp

coulterp

If it's a http://www.bona.com.tw:8080/product/ADSL-MR4CWG.htm, as already confirmed, and neighbours networks are being detected then I guess it's a wireless router! :D

10. coulterp

coulterp

I didn't mean that. I meant a mis-match between the (network) SSID in your router and the SSID entered on the adaptor card. If broadcast SSID is off in the router then your adaptor card wouldn't see the router SSID. Strange thing is though, the default for many (most?) routers is usually SSID broadcast enabled and you don't seen to have a way to enable/disable it (or at least haven't found a way) so we presumably it is still enabled in which case you should be seeing the network. By the same token have to assume WAP is enabled. What about WEP (encryption), are you using that? I guess not if you've only found minimal wireless configuration settings! :)

Do you know what the SSID is?
    Have you set the adaptor to use that SSID?

Looking at another model in their product list (WLG-R4) that appears to default to WAP on, WEP off, ESSID="WLAN", MIXED (i.e. both b and g prototol) mode. User name = admin. Password =1234.
    I don't know if that helps in any way.

11. mad-martin

yeah i know the ssid, they do match.

please see what it looks like when i logon using telnet, thats all the options i have

CONEXANT SYSTEMS, INC.
    ACCESS RUNNER ADSL CONSOLE PORT 3.27

Wireless Setting

1. Set SSID
    2. Set Channel Number
    3. Enable/Disable Security
    4. Set Key Length
    5. Set Key 1
    6. Set Key 2
    7. Set Key 3
    8. Set Key 4
    9. Set Default Key ID

Press 'B' to go Back
    Press 'M' to go to Main Menu
    Enter your selection below

12. mad-martin

ssid = maddie
    chanel number is 11
    security is enabled
    key lenght 64
    default key is key 1

that are all the settings we have set

13. coulterp

coulterp

Just to confirm then.
    On the belkin 802.11 g wireless network card adaptor you have set parameters to match, thus you have, on the adaptor card, also:
    - set ssid = maddie
    - enabled security with 64 bit key
    - and entered the key details for key 1

14. mad-martin

yes exactly like that :(

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you enter the full 64-bit key? All 10 characters on both the router and card? And have you confirmed that the card supports 64-bit WEP?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice