1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network will not connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by unusedcomptrdgre, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unusedcomptrdgre

unusedcomptrdgre Thread Starter

I have a Belkin Wireless G Router. One computer is wired and working fine. My other computer has Belkin Wireless G Network Card and will not connect. It states that I have a low signal. Has anyone tried the desktop antenna by Belkin? Or could it be another problem?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I haven't tried the antenna. Yes, there could be another problem and even if the problem is a low signal it may matter why it is low.

"It states that I have a low signal."

That's one opinion. :) Do you have independent verification that the signal is low? Or do you use the adapter with other networks and trust its judgment?

If the signal is low do you know why--distance, obstructions, bad router, ...?

3. invalidusername

invalidusername

Yes, get closer to the routerto see if it improves.

4. unusedcomptrdgre

I have no verification of low signal other than clicking the icon and it saying that. Is there another way to verify that? The speed is never more that 11Mbps. I did finally get it to connect but it the connection did not last long maybe a couple of hours. I only have one network that I'm using the adapter for. As far as distance I have had it right beside the router and it didn't work but as of right now the router is upstairs and the computer is downstairs right below the router room. I have just tried to change the channel on the router from 11 to 6 the speed is still the same but it did connect and the signal varies now from very good, good and low. What should I try next?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try channel 1. From the varied responses to changing the channel, I'd say you probably have interference.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the model of your Belkin router and of your Belkin wireless adapter?

7. unusedcomptrdgre

I put the router on auto and the results were basically the same.

Router - F5D7230-4 ver.6000 and I have the updated firmware

Adapter - F5D7000 ver.3001 with updated firmware

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download NetStumbler and do a scan of available networks. Post a screen shot here.

Here's a sample of what I'm looking for, mine shows one wireless network active. Make sure we can see all the columns.

Attached Files:

• net.jpg
      net.jpg
      File size:
      60.2 KB
      Views:
  9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using Belkin's utility or Windows' WZC to manage the wireless connection and are you sure that the other one is not running?

I think the direction John is taking you has a greater probability of payoff, but it doesn't hurt to look at this angle also.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice