1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network, Windows 2000 & XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jihf, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jihf

jihf Thread Starter

I am trying to add a new XP Home computer to my Netware wireless network. (There are no other computers, besides the base computer on the network). The base computer with the router has Windows 2000. I did have the network working earlier, but I had to replace the XP with a new one.

I mistakenly installed the Netgear wireless card before I loaded the driver, and even though I tried uninstalling the card and the driver, and then reinstalling the driver before I installed the card, I still cannot get the computers to communicate.

I have a feeling that I changed a setting that I should not have changed while trying to figure this out.

Can someone help me?

2. coulterp

coulterp

It could be anything. It really would help a great deal if you provided more information: like what your settings (both the IP settings of the router and PC and the wireless settings in the router and on the Wifi card) are at the moment.

3. jihf

jihf Thread Starter

When I check ipconfig on my computer with the router, it says:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix: comcast.net
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

The computer with the card says (same order)
    Conn-specific DNS...: (Blank)
    IP... : 169.254.74.18
    Subnet .... : 255.255.0.0
    Defaul ...... : (blank)

I am not sure what wireless settings you mean. (Sorry, I am (feel) old, stupid and frustrated!)

4. coulterp

coulterp

The computer with the card with IP... : 169.254.74.18 is getting an Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) a\ddress. The APIPA feature in all post-1998 Windows versions uses private IP addresses in the range from 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255. Basically it means that this computer’s DHCP client was unable to reach a DHCP server to be assigned an IP address (or DNS details). You need to check the connection to your network. As this is the wireless connection then it is likely to do with wireless settings on either the wireless router or the wireless card or both. For example: is WEP (encryption) off (best to leave it off on both router and card until comms can be established). How have you set up SSID?

If you tell me the wireless router make/model I may be able to help with the wirelesss setting. I have a Netgear WGr614 and it sounds like you are using Netgear kit.

The PC with the IP Address: 192.168.0.2 looks OK.

5. jihf

jihf Thread Starter

I am using the Netgear router MR314 and the card MA311.

The SSID on both computers is WORKGROUP. The security setting on the card computer is set off for WEP. I cannot find where that setting is on the router computer (Windows 2000). I notice that the router computer says the network is going through Windows rather than Netgear. The Card computer (XP) looks like it is using Netgear network. (It shows the Netgear network working and receiving a signal from another computer, but it cannot see what the computer is and the router does not see that another computer is on the network.

I found a setting under administrative tools on the router computer, and I reset the "local security settings" to unchecked. That did not help.

6. coulterp

coulterp

You mean the SSID on the router and on the Wifi cards is set to WORKGROUP? (i.e. you have changed it from the default of "Wireless"?)

The security setting for WEP must be off in the router and all Wifi cards needing to communicate with the router. (and once again, when it is on it must be on in both the router and all client devices).

You have all wireless devices set to use the same channel?

Was "Netware" wireless network in your original posting a typo because I see no Netware stuff in any of your follow-up details?

You should be able to use either the Windows wifi or the Netgear wifi card configuration tool it shouldn't matter both should work. I change back and forth from one to other now and again.

In the Network Connections / LAN or High-speed Connections (in XP, similar in W2K?) area on both PCs you should see a connection that is clearly the wireless connection (on the XP it will be called something like "Wireless Network Connection". This should be enabled and doing a Properties on this should show details that match the wireless settings on the router.

Is this on the W2K PC? I don't think it was necessary to fiddle with this.

Can you confirm a couple of other things. The "computer with the router" (the "W2K box) -- it is connected by wireless or wire to the router? It isn't clear. And the MA311 card is in the XP HE box?

7. jihf

jihf Thread Starter

I am sorry I just sort of fizzled out! I continued to work on the network, and finally got it going. Thank you so much for your assistance - it did help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice