1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network With 2 Routers & NAS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by newtek777, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

Ok, so I am in a rough spot and could really use some help. I was so happy to find this kind of service available to the community. Thank you to everyone involved for making this service available. I’m not accustomed to typing out these kinds of issues, so please bear with me.

I am fairly good with computers and in need of more income. I decided to start doing some contracting work on my own, and this is my first networking gig. I have a lot of experience with computers, but almost zero business networking experience. I have setup routers, modems and wifi at multiple residential locations. So, I thought it wouldn’t be a problem taking on an upgrade/networking project for a small auto repair business. Turns out, I couldn’t get things working and am at a loss as to how to resolve the situation. I’m not sure if it’s a router hardware compatibility, setup or settings issue or all the above. I'm feeling a little defeated, and could really use some guidance.

Current Scenario: They have Time Warner Business Class internet service. I’m assuming this is DSL. There is a front desk computer, an office computer with a wireless router, and then multiple laptops throughout the location that share internet access on an already installed/setup wifi network. In the garage area, a fairly large distance from the front desk and office, is where the Time Warner modem and another wireless router are installed and mounted.

Equipment I’m adding: I setup new computers and printers for their front desk and office area. We got a new router, a Netgear Nighthawk to replace the cheaper and older ASUS model presently in the office. We also got Buffalo Tech NAS to automatically back up all computers on the network and have remote file access.

Here is the problem: I didn’t know the modem for the internet was in the garage. I assumed it to be in the office. I originally thought the router in the garage to be just another access point or a wife extended network of sorts. Now, I’m realizing it may be the main router. I replaced the office router with the new router and it wouldn’t work. All the lights came on except for internet connection. I even let the wizard have me user the prior router’s exact same settings and it still didn’t work. None of the windows or router wizards could resolve the problem. I tried different computers, and that wasn’t the issue. So, I disconnected the new router, put the old one back in place and everything worked fine again. I then went to the garage where there is the mounted router, and attempted to replace that one. It also did not work for me. This router has a connection that the new router doesn’t have. I believe it is a Coaxial cable. Even though this new Netgear Nighthawk router is one of the best out there right now, it doesn’t have this. I hooked everything up minus the coaxial cable and it did not work for me. I was sure to hook up everything else that was attached to the previous router. I did reboot and reset in both orders to see if that helped, and it didn’t. So, I put the old router back up so that business would not be affected. That is where I am stuck.

I’m not sure what I’m missing, but since I'm only allowed one question. I will phrase it in terms of the outcome I would like to achieve if possible. Of course, I'm open to any suggestions. How do I install the new router and NAS in the office and have everything up and running correctly? The router in the office presently does not have a coaxial cable either. I am hoping to replace this one with the new router. I'd love to just leave the garage alone, and simply replace the office router and add NAS there.

If I HAVE to put new router in garage, I would have to make a new wall mount and there is no location ideal for NAS equipment. I also don’t know how this coaxial cable comes into play. I’m kind of in over my head, and would really appreciate some help before I make a fool myself (fingers crossed). I have to work on this network tomorrow, and do not want to fail. I am hoping to establish some much needed income in this area.

God bless, and thank you in advance for your time & assistance.

Newtek777

2. Sponsor

3. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Did you see anything about wireless repeating function on the old routers? Do you know the make/model of the router in the garage?

4. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I did not see anything about the wireless repeating function. I didn't look for it, but I was went through the router settings in pretty good detail on both the old and new one in the office and don't recall that terminology. Unfortunately, I do not have the router info that is in the garage and do not have access to it right now. I do have the router info for the old one in the office which is a ASUS RT-N56U and the new one is a Netgear Nighthawk.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Coaxial cable to me means cable (like in cable TV) internet service. But there can be other uses for coaxial. And since Time Warner is a cable company (and pretty sure they don't also offer DSL service) I'm thinking cable internet.

Suggest that you take a closer look at the current network. What is the brand and model of the router in the garage? (My guess is that it will turn out to be a cable modem/router combo.).

What is the brand and model of the router in the office? Is it connected by any kind of cable to a modem or the other router?

6. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

@TerryNet - Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct about it being cable internet, I wasn't sure. I do not have access to the router in the garage at this time, but they are two separate pieces of equipment. I did call Time Warner that day, and they told me they only had one piece of equipment in there the modem itself that it is "dynamic" and shouldn't be an issue. Does this mean a special kind of router that accommodates a cable modem connection is required in the garage?

7. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

The router in the office is an ASUS RT-N56U router, and the only things that are plugged into it are the power cord and a couple phone lines. I believe it is accessing the networking wirelessly. Their phone service is through Time Warner as well so that is probably what the phone lines are. I thought they were DSL initially. What a fiasco! :/

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I scanned through a manual for the ASUS RT-N56U and found nothing about 'wireless bridge' or 'AP client' or 'repeater' or 'range extender.' But maybe it has third party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT) and is operating in one of those modes? You'll have to somehow figure that out before you can replace it with another.

From post # 1:

If its WAN (Internet) port is coax then it is a modem/router combo. It could be configured as a modem only and add the new router, or left as is and add the new router, or replace it with another modem/router or separate modem and router.

Unfortunately many ISPs say "modem" when they are talking about a modem and also when they are talking about a modem/router combo. :( That's why I usually ask for the brand and model, 'cause most times the specs will indicate which animal it is.

Wish I could be helpful.

9. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

@TerryNet - I really appreciate your efforts to help me, and it is helpful even if not the magical solution. Any suggestions on how to figure out if the office router is third-party firmware? Thank you for looking through manual. So what does it mean that the office modem doesn't have wireless repeater or range extender settings? That it is not setup as an extension?

10. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

When you say "If its WAN (Internet) port is coax then it is a modem/router combo. It could be configured as a modem only and add the new router, or left as is and add the new router, or replace it with another modem/router or separate modem and router" I am a bit confused. If it is a combo, are you implying it would be one piece of equipment or are you referring to the router and the modem as a combo? Because there are definitely two separate pieces of equipment (both a modem and a separate router) in the garage.

11. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

I called Time Warner again, and got more information. The modem in the garage is a Motorolla and for their phone service. The router that I spoke of in the garage is apparently only setup for use as a modem and brings their internet service. ISP says the "router" is in bridge mode and passing through to the office router which apparently is doing all the work. I did get the router info: It is a SMC 8014 and it is Time Warner's equipment. I asked if I needed to do anything special in replacing the office ASUS router, and he couldn't think of anything. I'm not sure i even understand how the signal from the router in the garage is getting to the ASUS router.

12. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

So is there separate coax's running to the Motorola and SMC? That SMC 8014 is old (I think it's only 802.11g).
    For the equipment in the office are they wired or wireless? If the Asus has been flashed with dd-wrt the manual would not cover all settings. I would log back into the Asus Router and look for anything to do with repeater/bridge/ap and note the setup. Also take a look at the firmware version on the Asus Router and see if comes close to 1.1.1.8e-b2.

13. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

@CoolBurn - Thank you for your help! I looked up the SMC and you are correct, it states "802.11g - interoperable with multiple vendors". The Asus router in office is wireless. Their wifi works by accessing the ASUS router, and it is only hard cabled to the power outlet and a couple phone lines. So if the Asus was flashed, the dd-wrt would automatically add additional settings when I login to router? Sorry, I'm not familiar with dd-wrt but just looked it up and have an idea. I can't access the firmware right now. Are you saying that 1.1.1.8e-b2 is ideal? I don't know anything about that stuff either....yet!

14. newtek777

newtek777 Thread Starter

@CoolBurn @TerryNet - I want you guys to know how much I appreciate the help. I'm all about bartering and if there is anything I can do to return the favor, I would be happy to oblige. I have an administrative background, and very good at proofreading, writing, editing, desktop publications, flyers, resumes, brochures, etc.

15. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

1.1.1.8e-b2 would be an example of a dd-wrt firmware vs the stock asus firmware (3.0.0.4.374.5656) and yes dd-wrt does add extra settings that may have not originally came with the stock firmware router.
    Just adding, next time you log into the asus router do the following:
    On the left side click on Advanced Settings
    Under Wireless you should have a button for Bridge. Click on it and note the setup

16. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There would be no phones lines going to a standard router, those must be Ethernet cables and you need to trace where each one goes. One of them likely goes back to the modem in the garage, and it should be the one in the WAN port of the router. If you can log into the Asus then you can see how it's configured as well. If the SMC router is in bridge mode then that's good and likely means the main router is actually the Asus in the office. It's possible all you need to get it to work is reboot the cable modem(SMC) to allow it to assign a new address to the new router. Also make sure the new router is setup for a dynamic IP connection, or choose cable if that option is given but you may want to make sure that they have a dynamic IP address from TWC and not a static; if they have a static IP from TWC then you need to enter that into the new router or you'll also have no internet. You can also call TWC while there and have them assist in configuring the new router and for troubleshooting.

Also the Asus RT56U is actually a pretty good router, it doesn't support the new wireless AC but unless you have wireless-AC clients and the need for those very high wireless speeds Wireless-N with the Asus is generally sufficient.

As an aside if you are trying to properly set this up then don't use two routers. Use one router and have proper access points or repeaters for the rest of the wireless connections if you need a larger range than what the main router can do and get a basic network switch for any additional wired connections if needed. If the SMC is in bridge mode now than it's not functioning as a router and thats done correctly.

There's also no requirement to place the NAS near the router, you can run an Ethernet cable up to 100 meters. Then NAS should be in a safe and clean location.

Also be sure to document everything for the next person.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132386