Wireless Network with Cisco Clean Access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

springbrk200

I just got a brand new laptop, and I want it to be as protable and wireless as possible. Currently I'm on my college network that uses Cisco clean access. I have heard that this would prevent me from just plugging a wireless router into the wall. I have heard rummors that if I can find a router with an integrated browser (allowing me to login to cisco) that it can be done. The other solution would be to buy another pci ethernet card and run the wireless router off of that with bridged connections. I was wondering if anybody here has any knowlege on this matter.
As always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Yep, it's a captive portal. When you attach, you're redirected to a portal that downloads a lightweight client to verify what you're using, and to authenticate against LDAP/Kerberos source. Pretty much only packet you can get through the portal without authentication is UDP 53 for DNS queries.

You can make it work with a SQUID system in front of a wireless AP, or as stated before a true wireless bridge (maybe).

springbrk200

Could you go a little more indepth about this squid system. From what I unerstand you are using it to refer to placing a computer before the wireless router. Do you know of any wireless routers that have that included?

Sorry, SQUID is an opensource web proxy. Mainly w/Linux.

You would need another system, nothing fancy. PC w/ two NIC's and 256MB of RAM. There are Knoppix liveCD's that will config and start SQUID for you pretty much effortlessly.

Basic concept; Campus network -> Squid proxy -> Wireless bridge/ap -> your system.

springbrk200

I'm looking for a router that can bypass that. I would rather buy 1 nice router and sell my desktop. Saving me space on the tiny desk that is provided by my university.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online