1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network wont connect unless adapter is plugged in ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jaboyle, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaboyle

jaboyle Thread Starter

Basically,

I recently found out my router username and password and so was opening a few ports for some software im using.

I accidently went to the unpn tab and there was a list of port numbers which were already there (around 7 or so) anyway, Instead of clicking cancel to leave the tab I clicked done and they all vanished ......

I panicked, clicked back on the browser and they were there again.

I then took a screen shot to note down all the numbers,

I then quit my browser, went back into the router settings, clicked unpn and nothing .....

ok,

so recently I was using my laptop which is not directly connected to the wireless router and accidently pulled out my 'marvell yukon' network adapter, I use it to help with the internet when im near a plug socket.

And then I clicked refresh page and 'page could not be displayed', my network lost connection,

now when I go to my router settings it says connected with limited access.

So the only way I can connect to the internet is when Im plugged in with my marvel yukon thing.

Is this somehting to do with my unpn settings vanishing ??

also I have updated my network card drivers.

Perfectly up to date!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

kind regards, Jack

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. jaboyle

jaboyle Thread Starter

problem solved, thanks anyway everyone !

4. JohnWill

What was the resolution?

5. jaboyle

jaboyle Thread Starter

well, for once, right clicking and clicking 'repair' actually worked.

it gave me the option of creating a new ip-address and so it did it in about 1 minute and I was off browsing in no time !

thanks for the interest !

6. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice