Wireless network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PeteO

I have 3 PC's each running on XP home. I want to link them using wireless cards and a router so that access to the internet can be achieved from any PC. I have just installed Broadband and have an external ADSL modem plugged into my PC via USB2.0.

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations on equipment.

I have a linksys router..no usb port on the router....Do I need a special router for vpn to work?

jmc

There's two ways I know of to do this: One would be to replace your adsl modem with a wireless adsl router/modem.

But what I did was purchase a wireless router (I chose the D-Link DI-614+), got the network working, and use a proxy server (I'm using Analog-X) to allow the wireless clients to access the internet. Analog-X includes instructions for setting up your client browsers to use the proxy server.

This works for everything except Microsoft products. I don't know why. Mozilla, Trillian, Norton AV LiveUpdate, all work, but IE6 and Windows Media Player (on a WinXP Home machine) do not. I've checked and double-checked the proxy settings on IE, and they are the same as Mozilla is using.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd seriously consider replacing the ADSL modem with a model that has Ethernet capability. Then, you can plug the modem into the WAN port of the router, the configuration the router was specifically designed to support, and the rest is very easy. :)

jmc

Actually, I agree with that, but personally don't want to throw away the $ I spent on the modem I just received. At any rate since my entire network is working correctly now (thanks to all here!), I don't really see the need any more...

It may be a kludge, but it's my kludge, and it works! One learns so much more doing things the hard way :rolleyes:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Originally posted by jmc:
One learns so much more doing things the hard way :rolleyes:
You speak the truth, the hard lessons are the remembered lessons! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online