1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by joybull, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joybull

joybull Thread Starter

With an XP machine, I am picking up numerous networks in my neighborhood, but rarely does it pick up my own, even when i am right on top of the access point. Unfortunately I can't set the card directly because XP finds all this for me. Is there a way to diable the roaming? I think it is screwing everything up. Thanks.

2. aeakos

aeakos

In short, yes there is. When your Network Icon comes up in your task-bar, click it and bring up the window that shows the available networks. You should see an option that says "let windows manage my networks" or something of that sort. Uncheck that and also add your ESSID to the preferred network. You might also want to make your ESSID on your access point something unique. I do not have a wireless computer in front of me at the moment, so I am going off of memory. Sorry if I missed a few steps, but that's the jist of it. Also, be sure to turn on "Broadcast ESSID" on your access point, some Windows XP machines cannot detect the network without that option enabled.

ps. Depending on which access point you are using and its antenna configuration, you don't want to actually be directly next to it for the best signal due to the conical shape of most omni antenna.

Hope this helps.

3. joybull

joybull Thread Starter

I will try that. I actually kept it on thinking that i need it to configure my connector. i will configure and then deselect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice