1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jim Wulf, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim Wulf

Jim Wulf Thread Starter

My friend is has a PC with 2000 Pro and WIN Me on 2 other PC's. He's setting up a wireless network. Right now he has Me on the PC he wants to use for the HOST. Should 2000 Pro be the HOST and Me be the 2 clients or can he keep Me as the HOST?
    Thanks, Jim

2. shenrick

shenrick

I would recommend 2k be set as the host, simply for the fact that 2k is a much more secure OS than ME. Of course, that's just a personal opinion. Other's might disagree with me however.

3. Compumedic

Compumedic

It does'nt make a difference. In peer-peer they are all viewed the same on the network. I also would use W2K as the "host" or server (depending on how your using it) since it is more secure and ultimately (like 110x more) more reliable and stable then ME.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're sharing the Internet, I'd recommend a broadband router. If you're just doing a peer-to-peer network, there is no defined "host".

5. Compumedic

Compumedic

John,
    Technically speaking there is no defined host since all PC's on peer-peer are "equals". However, with a peer-peer network some people still use a single PC as their "server" so-to-speak where they store and access most of their files, etc. So in this case there could be a "host" just not technically speaking.

6. JohnWill

Well, I know it'll come as a surprise, but I really do understand that. :rolleyes: However, as far as the network is concerned, it's just another shared resource on a workstation, no special status. We are talking about network considerations here, right?

7. Compumedic

Compumedic

Did'nt mean to insult your intelligence or anything there Johnboy.... relax alittle. I know from reading your post that u got the concept. With the way you came across to the newbie I felt it was good to clarify the point which is what I did.

8. JohnWill

It's Mr. Johnboy to you. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice