1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless network!!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Avery21, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avery21

Avery21 Thread Starter

I have been asked to set up a wireless network. This network will be stationed at the home and they also want to access it from a building that is about 100m away. I know a bit about Lans but I never done anything with wireless yet. I would like to know if it is possible to do this for this distance and what equipment I might need.

Thanks

2. Ddruid

Ddruid

First, a couple of questions.

Is there a clear LOS (line of sight) from the house to the building, trees especially.
    What is your budget.
    How much reliability do you want (relates to budget obviously).

100meters is not far, but you will need external antennas.

3. Avery21

Avery21 Thread Starter

Well LoS is not a problem. There may be an odd truck in the way but that can be easily moved. As for the budget, well it's pretty wide open to a certian extent. This network will be conected to the house and then wireless to a barn.
    The owners want to be able to collect data and keep an eye on what is going on with certian machines instead of always having to go to the barn to check.

Hope this bit of info can help you help me.

thanks again

4. coulterp

coulterp

5. Ddruid

Ddruid

Cantennas = (n) Fun, but no practical use in an outdoor environment.

My sugestion is to buy radios with external antenna connectors and mount a small panel antenna at minimum 10' off the ground at each end. Obviously if it is a farm you will need to make sure the antennas are at least as high as the tallest tractor that could get into the signal path.

No one will be able to tell you it *will* work without looking at the signal path and doing a signal survey with a spectrum analyzer first hand, I am just going to lay out what *could* work given the little info you have supplied. There is a great number of possibilities, but these are two that I am familiar with and have setup personally:

Setup A:
    At 300' & absolute clear LOS these will be rock solid, 802.11b standard, but they are soho so expect some issues from time to time.

2xCB3 w/N Female Pigtail, Poe Injector, outdoor box $155/ea: CB3's
    2x12' LMR400 N-Male ends $20/ea: Patch Cables
    2x13dbi Flat panel antenna $35/ea: 13dbi Panel
    2xMotorola 300SS Ethernet Surge suppressor $40/ea: Motorola 300ss
    2xRolls of Mastic for weatherproofing $3.75/ea: Mastic Tape
    Couple rolls of 3M electrical tape: your local hardware store.
    Outdoor rated cat5e & ends: Home depot/ Computer supply.
    Antenna mounting hardware: too various to list: I like these: Universal DSS Arm
    Ground rods & ground wire.

Setup B:

More of a business class system, up to 54M/s, 5.8ghz:
    1xWRAP SBC w/POE, Mikrotik Level 5, Atheros Mini-PCI, and 64M flash: $350
    1xWRAP SBC w/POE, Mikrotik Level 4, Atheros Mini-PCI and 64M flash: $320
    2xU.FL Female Bulkhead Pigtail: $13/ea
    2xLMR400 6' w/N-Male connectors: $17/ea
    2x5.8ghz 21dbi antenna: $51/ea
    You will also need outdoor enclosures, weather seal, outdoor cat5, surge suppressors, and mounting hardware (see setup A).

*I am not affiliated with wisp-router, but they are one of my main suppliers that I deal with.

Setup B:
    [​IMG]

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice