1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless networking between 2 wireless routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Uofmfball52, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Uofmfball52

Uofmfball52 Thread Starter

Hi, i am a complete networking/computer newbie so as a warning to everyone who would potentially answer this question try to keep the response in the simplest terms possible for me, thanks.

I have a desktop, and a laptop, i have a wireless network setup for my laptop through my belkin wireless g 802.11g router.I have yahoo dsl wired directly to my computer that is wired to the belkin router which we will call computer A.

I received a used desktop computer that i am setting up in a different area of the house, which came with a netgear WGR 614 wireless router. This computer (computer B) is too far away to hardwire to the other computer, so i attempted to set up a wireless network between the 2 routers, because otherwise computer B would have no other way to connect to the internet.

I put the installation disk in computer B for the netgear router, and selected the option to connect it using existing router (not using netgear's router as the main router) and it told me to use advanced setup, which resulted in no help whatsoever.

So what i'm asking is there any way that i can connect these two computers through the existing network using the wireless routers in place. (connect the netgear on computer B wirelessly to my belkin on computer A)

THANKS

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What you need for the second router is a wireless bridge (or AP client) feature. Pretty sure neither of those routers have that capability, but you can check the respective user manuals (if you don't have the manuals on CD get them from Belkin's and Netgear's web sites).

It makes more sense to use a typical home setup:

DSL modem connected to wireless router; computers connected to router by ethernet and/or wireless. Get a PCI or USB wireless adapter for the remote computer.

Of course, you may have selected your configuration because the modem is USB only.

3. Uofmfball52

so where could i get a USB wireless adapter? and would that plug directly into my remote computer?

4. Uofmfball52

^ i did not mean to ask where can i get one, but what i meant was are USB adapters specific to certain pc's or routers?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    USB (and PCI) wireless adapters are pretty universal. I wouldn't bother with a 802.11b one, and with your routers a 802.11n would not be worth the cost. So my recommendation is any 802.11g 54 Mbps wireless adapter.

6. Uofmfball52

thanks alot i appreciate it, but one last question, is the setup on the wireless usb adapter simple? my router doesnt have USB ports, so would i plug it in directly to the main computer then plug it into the remote one?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You connect it to a USB port on the remote computer and use it to connect wirelessly to your router, which should be connected to your modem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice