1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Networking Confusion

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CoasterFreak, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    Hello fellow TSGers,
    I swear I just don't have luck with wireless networks anymore. So I have a really funny issue going on now. I've been downloading videos, music, and other random files lately (legally of course). They've been taking quite some time. A 75MB file took about 5 minutes which is VERY unusual, that's actually unheard of. Now, i've tried a dozen and one different speedtests and I'm getting anywhere from 6 Mbps (minimum) to 13 Mbps (maximum). Why are download speeds so slow? Do you guys suggest I disable WPA-TKIP? I am in a mixed -n and -g environment. I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes though. I usually just stick with MAC filtering, but I wanted to give "real" security a chance. But if disabling WPA-TKIP would help then I'm game. I just want other suggesstions before I try it. PLEASE TSGers help me...:(

2. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
  3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Are you sure it's not a problem on the remote site, and not your connection?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nothing wrong in the line quality test. That 100% loss is normal for many ISP last hop gateways, they simply don't respond to pings. The important part is the top statistics about low and medium bandwidth streams, they show zero loss.

Download speeds are dependent on both ends, maybe the source is slow?

5. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Thanks JohnWill and bassetman for your input.
    It very well could be an issue on the remote site, i just assumed that because it happened on multiple sites that it was probably an issue with me. Do you think it has anything to do with WPA security?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It may well be an issue with your machine, it just doesn't seem to be indicated in that particular line quality test.

Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if the speeds change.

7. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Thanks JohnWill, I'll give that shot. Now I don't think it's the wireless security, WPA, since my XBox works flawlessly. Ahh the woes of networking!

8. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    I gave Safe Mode with Networking Support but there was no improvement in performance. Any other suggesstions? Thanks.

9. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
  10. CNTnut

CNTnut

I don't see why nobody asked how far away from the router are you? and what kind of wireless card do you have? plus if you are using cable internet, then sometimes it is normal when a lot of people are using their internet. Could that be the problem?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What happens with an ethernet connection (your PC)?

12. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    to answer cntnut: the distance is no more than 50ft max...but these are -N adapters so I expect better out of them. the -G adapters are doing better than the -N.

to answer TerryNet: Wired (ethernet) performs well above our promised speeds of 16/1.5

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the adapter. Any other wireless networks detected? Have you tried different channels?

14. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    TerryNet,
    I do indeed have the latest NIC drivers. I do detect other networks but they are too far away to establish & keep a connection to. I have tried different channels but some cause the -N cards to have an even worse connection than they do now.

15. CNTnut

CNTnut

This may have completely no effect, but is it usb? if so, when i use the extion cord and put the card higher, like on my desk, i have 54 Mbps, but when it is directly in my pc, about 18 Mbps

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice