1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Networking Laptpop to PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Screlge, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Screlge

Screlge Thread Starter

I have an Acer Laptop (XP Home) with an Intel (R) Pro/Wireless/2200BG Network Connection and a Dell PC (XP Pro) with a Linksys Wireless USB Adapter. What do I have to do to network the two so that I can access my PC files and share printers and broadband connection?

At present my Laptop is accessing the Internet through a neighbours Net Gear Network Connection and does not recognise my Linksys Network.

Help Would Be Appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have a router, or are you trying the more difficult way of an ad-hoc wireless network between the 2 PCs and using ICS on the one?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure how good this is to do. Most ISP's don't like people using their Internet connection across houses. It would also explain why you are having problems with your local network.

Better to use your own Internet connection for both.

4. Screlge

Screlge Thread Starter

I am trying to do that but my Laptop won't recognize my PC which has the Broadband Connection. I assume it's not configured properly.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How is the PC connecting to the Internet?
    Do you have a wireless router like your neighbor?

6. Screlge

Screlge Thread Starter

ADSL

No just an Adapter.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'll take that as a 'yes' to "... are you trying the more difficult way of an ad-hoc wireless network between the 2 PCs and using ICS on the one?"

How far have you progressed in setting up the ad-hoc?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you're trying to connect a laptop with a wireless adapter to a desktop computer? That doesn't work. You either need to buy a wireless network adapter for the desktop computer or buy a router. A router would be the easiest solution.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to configure the two wireless NIC's in Ad-Hoc mode to communicate directly without a gateway. It actually can be done, it's done all the time. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice