1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Networking Problem Making Me CRAZY!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SpecterFan14519, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpecterFan14519

SpecterFan14519 Thread Starter

We have four PCs: one running Windows 98SE, two running Windows XP, and one running Windows 7 [Home Premium]. Until recently they could all see one and other as well as share files with each other. Recently I discovered they could all still see each other and the two XPs and the Win 7 could connect with each other. They can also connect with the "98 machine" while it can ONLY connect with the two XPs When I try to connect with the Win 7 PC via Windows Explorer or Network Neighborhood I receive the following:
    \\ [pc name] is not accessible

The request is not supported by the network
    When I click on properties for Win 7 (while on the Win 98 PC) I recieve this message:
    The server \\ [pc name] does not accept remote requests
    Info for the Windows 7 PC:

Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System

System Properties
    Remote tab
    Remote Assistance
    "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer" IS CHECKED

If you need more information, just say the word. But I have to warn you, I'm not what one would call "computer-savvy" but I try my best.

Thanks for any and all help,
    Chuck W

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, for the Windows 98 pc, clear the DNS cache; Windows 7 PC, go to the Advanced Sharing screen, turn on Network Discovery, turn on File and Printer Sharing,
    All computers should be part of the same Workgroup,
    At this point you should be able to ping the W7 pc from the W98 pc.

BTW, Allowing 'Remote Assistance' to that computer has nothing at all to do with any of this.

3. SpecterFan14519

SpecterFan14519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are turned on (and have been).

All the PCs are in the same Workgroup - MSHome. Originally they were not; there was some confusion on my part regarding Homegroups and Workgroups. I eventually found out that Homegroups only applies to Windows 7.

Now then.....

The DNS cache.... What is it? Where will I find it? How do I clear it?

[This is how you know you're a newbie]

How do I "ping" the Win 7 from the Win 98? I confess I don't really know what it means to "ping" something - other than sending a signal. [By the way - I'm 50+ yrs old. On the verge of qualifying as a senior.]

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Find the IP address of the computer you want to PING (usually 192.168.1.nn where nn varies.)

Run Command Prompt (as Administrator in Win7).
    In the command Window.

IPCONFIG /flushdns
    PING 192.168.1.nn as found above and you should get a reply.

those commands work in all Windows.

5. CleaverX

CleaverX

So to be precise with your scenario, find the current ip address of the Windows 7 computer by running ipconfig from the command prompt, then go to the Windows 98 machine and flush the dns cache, then from the same command prompt ping the ip address of the Windows 7 machine; ideally it should run 4 packets and receive 4 replies. If that is the case, you should be good to go.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice