1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless networking problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmc, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Ok. My network was working fine, so of course I had to go break it. Went out and bought a wireless network router (D-Link DI-614+). My main computer is wired to this router, and works fine, has an expected IP addy and all.

But my network is now broke. My laptop, which is using a Linksys 54g card, can successfully connect to the router, but cannot see my other computer -probably because the "Autoconfiguration IP address" is a 169.254 ranged address, rather than the 192.168.0 range the router is supposed to be passing out.

So neither computer can see the other, and I get a ping error 65 (usually meaning a firewall problem) when trying to ping from the notebook to the PC. ZoneAlarm is not the problem, I've put the computer (both the expected IP range, and the specific weird IP the notebook currently has) into the trusted zone. In fact, ZA hadn't even been started from a fresh reboot the first time I tried to ping. From this end, ping just times out.

Ok, just got weirder. Tried ipconfig again, the IP addy's changed to 169.254.131, which is not the same subnet the laptop's on... When I try 'ipconfig /release' I get "all adapters bound to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses. The addresses were automatically configured and cannot be released".

This is my first attempt at wireless networking and I'm completely confused. I sort of had the impression that I'd swap out the router, set it up, connect, and all would be kopacetic. Now, I can't even get my network running if I wire the laptop in. I suspect I need to tweak the router's settings further, but not sure where. Halp!

jmc

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The "wierd" IP range you're seeing is telling you that the notebook can't access the DHCP server to get an address assignment. Since the wireless setup on the DI-614+ is pretty straight forward, I'd start there.

Turn off WEP until you get it running, and set it to broadcast the SSID, and select a channel.

Start by turning off WEP on the laptop, and running the wireless scan utility. Usually you get an option of connecting to any WAP's in range, yours should be the only one.

If you can't get it running, it may make sense to uninstall the drivers totally and start fresh with the laptop NIC.

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

The problem isn't connecting with the wireless router - it seems to be connecting fine, even with WEP. The problem is, the only thing I can seem to see is the router - not the other computer. And it got worse. Somehow in trying to get it working, I now cannot connect to the router *at all* through the browser interface - connection times out. I've tried reboots and resetting the router - both with the button, and by powercycling, all to no avail. I've obviously done something horribly wrong, and don't know how to fix it.

it would help if I was more familiar with networking in general, but I seem to still be better at breaking it than fixing it :(

But I guess the question is, why aren't I getting DHCP on either machine now? They're both set up for it, and the default gateway's set for the router. The router is set to do DHCP, or was - since I can't confirm it was changed since I can't get into it! AARGH!

Ok, so I'll try to wire it to the laptop, and configure it from there. Any other suggestions, if nothing appears to have changed?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by doing a power cycle on the router. If that doesn't work, try a factory reset on the router. If both machines are failing to get an IP address, the only common item is the router at this point.

5. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.
    My suggestion is to concentrate on one computer at a time.
    Start back at the beginning.
    Unhook all the network cables.
    Turn off Zone Alarm.
    Trying to configure Zone Alarm before you have the network set up does not work.
    Turn off computer.
    Turn off modem.
    Turn off router.
    Now follow the D-Link Quick Installation Guide.
    Also make sure you configure the computers to “Obtain an IP address automatically”.
    If you still can’t get to the D-Link’s setup page after resetting it to factory default I would say it’s time to call toll free tech support.

:D (y)

Tech Support for customers within the United States:
    D-Link Technical Support over the Telephone:
    (877) 453-5465
    24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    D-Link Technical Support over the Internet:
    http://support.dlink.com
    email:[email protected]
    Tech Support for customers within Canada:
    D-Link Technical Support over the Telephone:
    (800) 361-5265
    Monday to Friday 8:30am to 9:00pm EST
    D-Link Technical Support over the Internet:
    http://support.dlink.ca

6. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I did a subset of your suggestion this morning, and have most everything working. Problem seems twofold - something wrong with my network setup, and WEP is causing problems. I started a new post so I could better explain today's activity.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice