1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless networking WPA2-enterprise

Discussion in 'Networking' started by groundog, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. groundog

groundog Thread Starter

Basically i am wondering if there is any modem/router device that is capable of connecting to a wpa2 enterprise 802.1x network wirelessly then share that connection wirelessly to my mac/chromecast/iphone?

Picture of what i think the setup should be?
    http://i.imgur.com/Y190ZSV.jpg

I know i can connect a windows pc to the network and share it using a virtual router but i'm looking to see if there are any devices that can be used instead of running windows in parallels each time?

thanks.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What's the purpose of doing this when you can just configure the clients to go directly to the main WiFi source?

3. groundog

groundog Thread Starter

sorry i should have mentioned, i do not have access to the main wifi source and the chrome cast (along with a lot of other things) does not support wpa2 enterprise networks

4. zx10guy

What's the main source? Is this a home network?

5. groundog

groundog Thread Starter

yes, the main source is a home network provided by the landlord. He is happy for me to share the connection just won't allow me access to the main source

6. zx10guy

Then it should be no problem with working with the landlord to get the other devices connected to his network.

7. groundog

groundog Thread Starter

thats the whole point i have posted here, i have tried with the landlord and he will not allow me access to the main modem's page to change anything so was just looking for an easier way round the problem

8. zx10guy

So here's the problem I have with all this. And to be upfront, I'm not sure if you're being honest or trying to hide details...just like those who come on here asking for assistance with password recovery.

Getting back to my issue. No one and I mean no one deploys a 802.1x infrastructure outside of an enterprise/business, learning institution, or government. There's too many moving parts required to make a 802.1x solution work such as a authenticating authority (LDAP, AD), RADIUS server, and usually a certificate authority. So with all those pieces needed to make WPA 2 Enterprise work, this post feels very much like a University dorm situation. I could be wrong but....

A landlord wouldn't punish himself with this and would most likely opt for the preshared key option or if they're progressive enough a captive portal system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice