1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless Networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by avs4ever, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avs4ever

avs4ever Thread Starter

I have a question: is is wireless G really any better than wireless B? I have COMCAST internet, and it never gets above 2-3 mbps. I bought a B router yesterday at Best Buy, and today my roomy got a G adapter for his PC to connect on to the router. I know it's compatable, but the dude at Best Buy told him that G was "so much better" and we should "never use a B router". Is there any truth to this? He was told that B drops the wireless connection like it's going out of style? True? False? Please help and thanks in advance!

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

The G standard is able to provide upto 54 Megabits per second of raw bandwidth. Usable bandwidth is going to be in the 20 to 30 Mbps range.

The B standard provided 11 Mbps raw, around 5 Mbps usable. So, the G standard would give you 6 to 7 times better data throughput.

However, G will not help you surf the internet any faster since the limiting bandwidth of your broadband connection is in the 2-3 Mbps range.

Where it would help is if you were transfering data between two computers within the home network.

Regarding the "drops the wireless connection" comment, it was likely a sales ploy. G equipment is generally more expensive than B equipment, and in the given context, the statement is nearly meaningless.

-Scott

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice