Wireless Networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gangadhar

An Office with 7 Computers, can be connected with wireless lan, within a radius of 5 mts. Is it necessary to have Acess Point. We dont want internet facility. If AP is not required, what are the advantages of AP

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You have two options to put them on your lan wirelessly. You either buy an Access Point and connect that to one of your existing network switches or you buy a wireless router and just use it as a switch. Needless to say, something has to be working as a DHCP server on your network otherwise none of your wireless devices are going to work. Unless you want to set all the IP addresses statically.

I really can't say for sure what you need because you haven't given us any detail as to what your current network looks like.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You have to have something that transmits the wireless data. If it's not an access point, it would have to be a router.

Seven computers on one basic router might be a bit tasking. I would suggest looking into professional equipment from Cisco that would also include management utilities.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Seven computers on one wireless AP or router, Cisco or otherwise will really have lousy local networking performance. If you're planning on ANY file sharing, I'd suggest you revisit the idea of wiring them, you'll be much happier with the results.

TerryNet

Terry
Just to irritate Squashman and DoubleHelix :) let me interject that you can set up an ad-hoc wireless network with just the computers. If you like challenges and problems. And if you really, really like challenges and problems, you can do it w/o assigning static IP address (they will eventually be assigned valid Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addresses).

The cost of a wireless router or some ethernet cables will be much less than a "free" ad-hoc wireless network.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
IF you truly don't want any internet sharing, you can simply connect them all to a switch, assign IP address manually, and away you go.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Certainly not irritating Terry. You are too nice for that. I actually didn't know you could setup an Ad-Hoc network with multiple wireless computers. I always thought it would only work between two wireless devices, kind of like using a cross-over cable. I have never looked into it, I just assumed but I guess in theory it should work.

Gangadhar

JohnWill said:
IF you truly don't want any internet sharing, you can simply connect them all to a switch, assign IP address manually, and away you go.

Sir,
I am using to this wireless network to share files, applications, printers & scanner that is all. I am going to wireless for the following;
1. Whenever we want to change the place of computers.
2. Assuming cost is just 30% extra, consider a wireless Lan Card cost Rs. 1150 Indian Currency.
3. Speed and Bandwidth.

Pls help to know the advantage of going for Acess Point.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Gangadhar said:
I am using to this wireless network to share files, applications, printers & scanner that is all.
As I mentioned, you're going to find that file/print sharing with that many wireless stations contending for the bandwidth will really be abysmal. Even a single connection through wireless will have a fraction of the file sharing performance of a wired link. I hope these are VERY small files and print jobs, because you are in for a rude awakening.
Assuming cost is just 30% extra, consider a wireless Lan Card cost Rs. 1150 Indian Currency.
Sure, but what is the cost to redo the network with cable after you experience the disappointment of wireless multi-point networks? :p:p

TerryNet

Terry
FYI Squashman, I actually have used an ad-hoc wireless among three PCs (mostly for printer sharing, but a little file sharing). Each time it took about a minute for the PCs to settle on APIPAs. I got tired of the difficulty determining (via 'ping') if/when they were really communicating, so went to static IPs--on the Alternate Configuration tab so that there would be no problem connecting to infra-structure wireless with Dhcp. This year we have a network ready (ethernet) printer so will use a "dirt cheap" wireless router to make our life easier.

Please excuse the interruption, Gangadhar. At least this is related to your subject! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online