wireless networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

muruga

Hi
We are looking to network about 6-8 PC's. windows 98 or maybe 2000
What is the scoop on top of the line technology for this?
And if you happen to know - what is cost - best place to purchase - would that number qualify for quantity discount ?
Many thanks,,

Muruga -

I have a Linksys wireless network at home and I love it. I bought a router / switch / wireless hub combo (BEFW11S4 ) from Buy.com. I have three computers wired to it using ethernet (they are all very close and I don't want to spend money on wireless cards) and one wireless notebook that I can use anywhere in the house. We have a cable modem attached to the setup also.

I don't know how many wireless devices it can handle, but I think it's a pretty good number.

For the technologhy, It's the 802.11b standard. The range is decent, the speed is OK for surfing the internet, but it certainly is a LOT slower than regular ethernet. I think a new standard is in the works (802.11a), but I don't know anything about it.

I have a combination of Win95, Win98, Win2000 and just upgraded a computer to WinXP. All are working just fine.

Like i said above, i got my stuff from Buy.com. They are FAST and have good prices. There's currently a thread in the reviews forum about Buy.com.

I hope this helps a little. Good Luck.

Tommy

PS - you might have more luck in the Networking forum.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online