1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wireless networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by swingy, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swingy

swingy Thread Starter

Hi and thanks in advance

I would just like to know if there is a way of doing a wireless network without having a pc or laptop in my sitting room.Our cable internet is set up in this room and we have to pay around £75 to have it relocated.
    At the moment my sons pc is set up in there and has a belkin router installed on it and my daughters has hers in her room on a wireless connection but he wants his pc in his room also.Is there any way i can do this with out setting up another pc in my sitting room???

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you can get a long ethernet cable to reach to the son's bedroom, or else get a wireless adapter for his computer so that he can also connect wirelessly.

The only caution is that whenever you want to configure the router (especially the wireless settings!) it is highly recommended to use an ethernet connected computer and it is completely foolish to attempt a firmware upgrade on anything other than a reliable ethernet connection.

3. swingy

swingy Thread Starter

thnx but i think the long ethernet cable would be out the question rooms are too far apart.
    My sons is wireless capable but my internet cable (im with virgin) is in my sitting room how do i set up our router (belkin wireless g plus) if both pc's are upstairs and my cable is downstairs im really confused

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Obviously, you need a hardwire from the broadband modem to the router. From there, all of the normally used computers can be wireless, you only need a wired connection if you have to reconfigure the router for some reason.

5. swingy

swingy Thread Starter

My broadband comes thru a cable which i put in the router but what do i connect my router too if both pc's are upstairs?? can i set my router up without connecting to either pc?

6. JohnWill

You can carry a machine down and configure it, or simply buy a long cable and temporarily string it to the router. You can't configure wireless routers with a wireless connections for what I hope is an obvious reason. ;)

7. swingy

swingy Thread Starter

im not good with things thats supposed to be obvious take ages to sink in

but if i configure the router can i then take the machine back upstairs and just have my modem connected to the router downstairs

sorry if im being thick here but i really am

8. JohnWill

Yes, once the router is configured, and you get the wireless connection working to the machine, you can then put it anywhere in range of the wireless router and use it.

9. swingy

swingy Thread Starter

thank you for the all the help i will try this out tomorrow

this site is amazing

10. JohnWill

We try. :D

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And for the purpose of future configuration changes you can carry the router to a desktop computer, connect via ethernet, configure, disconnect, and carry the router back to the modem. (Assuming you don't have a laptop.)

12. JohnWill

Carrying the router to the machine disconnects the modem. While it's possible to do most of the configuration that way, I purposely left that option out to avoid confusion. :)

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    But confusion in others is our "job" security! :)

Seriously, I included it because some people think they have to lug a desktop including CRT monitor downstairs to the router to make a simple configuration change.

14. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Another option to consider is buying a PCI wireless card for the desktop, or just a USB wireless adapter. Make the desktop wireless, and then there is no need to run any cables.

15. JohnWill

BUZZ, WRONG! We're talking about configuring the router, and it's a VERY bad idea to configure a wireless router with a wireless connection. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice