1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wireless no, ethernet yes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DD2000, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8103 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (273 GB Free); E: 5 GB (0 GB Free); F: 143 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, H67MA-E35 (MS-7680)
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus

I used to access my home wireless with a Netgear N150 Wireless USB adapter. The device still works, because I use it for Roku, but my computer can't access the wireless network with it. As a replacement I installed a TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N PCI adapter (TL-WN851ND). That hasn't worked from the start. During the course of trying to fix the problem, I changed at least 10 different settings, and none of them worked. Now, I've lost track of all the changes I made. What I want is to erase all of the previous settings and connections and act like my computer is fresh out of the box and has never been connected to the internet before. The TP-Link is what I want to use. Not knowing as much as everyone else on here about computers, I am assuming that the Netgear and TP-Link aren't the problems, and it is instead something with my computer. Is there some type of checklist I can go though step by step to see exactly what the problem is? I don't know if there is physically something wrong with my computer that I can fix by buying a replacement, or if there is some setting or driver or whatever that has been corrupted or simply stopped working that I can repair and get my wireless working again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depending on what media you have either install Windows fresh or "recover to factory defaults."

3. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

Thanks. Exactly what will be reset if I do one of those two things?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    All the software on the computer, including the operating system.

5. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

Thanks again. Do you know of any place I could find a checklist to go through of my computer's settings to make sure there is nothing I can easily change that might be preventing me from getting wireless?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not.

7. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

OK, thanks.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are welcome. :)

Now try the following; I doubt it will do any good, but it will do no harm.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you installed the latest driver from TP-Link's web site? If not, please do so.

What exactly do you do to try to connect, and exactly what happens (include any error messages)?

10. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

I've tried installing the driver both from the website and the disk included with the product.

When I try to connect, the TP Link says it's connected, but signal strength is poor (52%). The other information it give is Network Type: Infrastructure, channel 1, Encryption Type: AES, Wireless mode: 11n. When I try to download messages in Thunderbird, it says "failed to connect to gmail server".

Is there some way to check to see if my RealTek is still working?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you testing about 5 to 10 feet from the router when the signal strength is poor? And the antenna is secure and there is a clear path from router to adapter's antenna?

12. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

The router is downstairs and the desktop is upstairs, about 50 feet away. The computer I am currently using is the one with the problem, and I am connected using ethernet. When I think I find a solution, I disconnect the ethernet cable and try the wireless.

The antenna is secure, but there is not a clear path from the router. When I was using the Netgear USB it always worked without a problem.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most likely there is an antenna that is insecure or not positioned properly or there is a serious obstruction (or several).

14. DD2000

DD2000 Thread Starter

So if my computer has to stay in the same spot, does that mean the TP Link will never work?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "work"? In post # 10 you said that the signal is weak but said nothing about a problem with the adapter.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice